Dwarf Rabbits & Feeding Amounts

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonsai

Heidi's Mom
Reaction score
Hello!

You guys are probably getting tired of my questions and I can't say I blame you. :p However, I've read a lot of conflicting reviews on how much to feed rabbits. Everything says "unlimited pellets" under 9 months but I noticed with Totoro that he barely ate any hay because he was filling up on pellets. I wonder now if this impeded his ability to recover from his stasis.

I obviously want to avoid this again, so how should I encourage more hay consumption? Should I limit pellets to a degree? If I did the math right previously, a Dwarf at adulthood would get 1/8 cup pellets. The pellets I feed currently are Purina show (Heidi is doing well on this feed, too, so I'm reluctant to change it - she doesn't get much of it) and they've got 16% protein & 18.50%~21.50% fiber. I fed Totoro unlimited and I think that may have hurt him. So how should I encourage a Netherland Dwarf baby to eat more hay? Purina Show is alfalfa-based so I'm kinda hesitant to feed alfalfa hay... Wouldn't that be too much calcium/sugars? :/

Sorry for all the questions again! I'm just trying to figure out how to do better next time.

You don't need the alfalfa hay since the pellets are alfalfa based. Many sources say unlimited pellets for youngsters, but you have to watch that they're not becoming overweight. Young ones, just like adults, sometimes just don't know when to stop eating! Reducing the pellets some and providing different types of hay will help you learn which hay/grass she likes better.

I see recommendations for unlimited pellets and alfalfa hay a lot on the internet, but neither of those things are best for young rabbits in my experience. Rabbits under 6-8 months old have especially delicate digestive systems that can be easily upset by a diet too high in protein, calcium, etc.

I limit pellets for both my babies and adults. My Dwarf Hotots eat 1/4 cup daily, and my Holland Lops eat 1/2 cup daily. For babies, I usually offer about 1.5-2 times that amount. That's plenty to get a little extra food, but if they're unlimited, I start noticing mushy droppings. To compliment the pellets, I offer just timothy hay. Hay can be offered in any amount you wish. I find that offering "unlimited" hay usually ends in mostly waste, so I have hay feeders that hold about a handful and refill it daily.

Thank you guys!

I guess I'll offer him/her about 3/4 cup a day and see how they do. If I notice lots of hay nibbling/acting hungry, I'll offer some more. My biggest worry is slowdown of the gut. I know Netherland Dwarf have an even more sensitive stomach than other breeds so it worries me to overfeed pellets and they don't get hay! My Heidi never ate her alfalfa hay as a baby and she did fine but I also think that rabbit could eat anything and come out fine LOL. She's got an iron gut!

Which types of hay should I offer? Currently I'm thinking oat and timothy, but is there anything else I could throw in there that might entice bunny? I'm going to figure out some sort of hay rack to put over the litterbox. I had great success with litterbox training Totoro without doing anything special. Put the box there and he all at once knew what it was for. Only a handful of droppings outside the box!

Latest posts

Back