Dwarf & mini - what's the difference?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dwarfs have the dwarfing gene. Minis don't necessarily have it, nor are they necessarily the smallest. Mini Lops came first to the United States, but the Holland Lops (carrying the Dwarf gene) are smaller.

In general, minis are smaller versions of already existing larger breeds.

The smallest rabbits breeds in the US are the Britannia Petite and the Netherland Dwarf.

This is something I've wondered too. Thanks for the explanation, Pam!

Maybe a nice tidbit to send out on our Facebook or Twitter :)

So can Hollands have peanuts and Max Factors and Hippos in their litters, just like Netherland Dwarves?

It's kinda complicated question because what we call a Holland lop is called a Dwarf Lop in the UK, I think, and there's also a Mini Lop, which is bigger than the Holland/Dwarf. Pam please correct me if I'm wrong.

tonyshuman wrote:
So can Hollands have peanuts and Max Factors and Hippos in their litters, just like Netherland Dwarves?

It's kinda complicated question because what we call a Holland lop is called a Dwarf Lop in the UK, I think, and there's also a Mini Lop, which is bigger than the Holland/Dwarf. Pam please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Miniature Lop in the UK is the US Holland Lop, while the UK Dwarf Lop is comparable to the US Mini Lop. There's also the larger UK German Lop (as well as a number of other lop breeds).

Hollands are genetic dwarfs and some lines may alsocarry some of the undesirable genes we see in Netherlands.

Sweetie wrote:
A Britannia Petite, is that smaller than a Netherland Dwarf, the same size, or bigger?
Same maximum weight (2 1/2 lbs.), but the Brit is a full arch body type and very fine boned, where the Netherland is compact type with a high head mount and med/heavy bone. They also have different fur types: Brit/flyback, Neth/rollback

tonyshuman wrote:

I didn't understand this part! Peanuts? Max Factors? Hippos?

I saw a post about Max Factor but didn,t understand what that meant!

Tweetiepy wrote:

I didn't understand this part! Peanuts? Max Factors? Hippos?

I saw a post about Max Factor but didn,t understand what that meant!
These are genes that cause physical deformities.

Latest posts

Back