Dwarf lionhead?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't understand FFA or 4-H.

If kids are breeding rabbits, then why not bring in higher quality stock, and strive to reach the breed standard (or close to it)...instead of breeding lower quality rabbits?

At the county fair in NY where I lived, I remember there being tons of mixed breed rabbits at the 4-H booths. I never understood why people bred mixed breeds on purpose for 4-H. It just ads up to more homeless rabbits in the world.

Does that make sense? lol.

Ihave read all of your comments and concerns and Iwon't start my breeding program with her. I just threw that out there to see if it would be possible to get double-manes out of her. I have been doing some research trying to find a good lionhead breeder to get some pedigreed rabbits from around here.To answer another Question FFA is of course future farmers of america where you breed and/or show some kind of livestock animal. I also have a project through my advanced agriculture class were we breed and show. As of yet I haven't shown though.

I will admit that I got her fully intending to breed her and I have bred her two times before. This is all before I became aware of the risks of breedingand the plight of shelter rabbits. In my defence no one had ever told me anything was wrong with just breeding rabbits. The bunnies that were born as a result, I made sure found the best homes I could,all of them are house rabbits and apart of there respective families.

Ihope this clears things up and I am sorry that I offended some of you with breeding or intending to breedthis rabbit.

~Hayley~

Oh hey, I seriously doubt anyone was getting upset with the idea of you breeding her. I stated my opinion but that's all it is, an opinion. Just because I saee things one way doesn't mean you have to see it the same way. :pI do not understand why it is part of the course though... Is there not something else they could do instead? :?Not all farmers show, so I don't understand it. Is there a specific reason?

Hayley,

One of my very favorite breeders is up in your area and I have some nice rabbits from them at great prices. The breeder is Nita Shannon and she has Legendary Lionheads
Their website addy is http://www.legendaryminis.com/LionheadRabbits.html and let me tell you - I think their rabbits are GORGEOUS.

As good as Nita is with rabbits- I LOVE her daughter Kaela and her eye for rabbits. I bought two rabbits off Kaela last spring and I just adore them. She was able to describe them for me so well that when I got them - I was really pleased. Their prices weren't bad either.

I think part of my concern (and I'm certainly not faulting you for breeding lionheads or the doe you had) - is that if things go for you like they did for me - you could wind up with a barn full of animals that it is hard to rehome. For some reason, I swear those older style does can have TONS of kits and then to try and find them homes...it can be tough.

I just visited Nita and Kaela's site and I didn't see any rabbits over $100 - and one cute little buck was $25.

I say this because if you wanted to breed lionheads - bet they could set you up with a nice trio to get started with.

They are located in [size="+2"]Washougal, Washington ...and travel to many rabbit shows.

Peg

[/size]

seniorcats wrote:
jam224 wrote:
Peg -- wow, thank you for sharing all that. I think it was very well-written.

I was also concerned when you mentioned breeding her. I would hope that anyone who does choose to breed rabbits, does so for the sake of improving the breed. But I went back and looked at your intro post, Hayley, and you mentioned that you were raising rabbits as a school/FFA project. I'm not sure what that means and I think it would be helpful, if you wouldn't mind clarifying that for us! :)

Jen, you must be a city slicker! When I was in school, it was Future Farmers of America. FFA is for agricultural education from middle school through college and on.

http://www.ffa.org/
LOL, thanks, Ann! I did Google it and figured out what it stands for, but the only organization that I'm familiar with showing rabbits is ARBA. I guess FFA has different standards? I don't know... yup, never heard of 'em. :p

I don't think you offended anyone here, Hayley. :) I hope our concerns didn't turn you off. It sounds like Peg is a wealth of information for you and it sounds like you're learning a lot since starting your program!

Latest posts

Back