Dwarf Comparison: Hotot - Rex - Satin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire

Reaction score
Doing my research here. If you were to reccomend a Dwarf breed for the ease of taking care of, and handling, which of these three would you reccomend?

The Dwarf Hotot, or the Mini Rex or Satins?

My background: I have had two rabbits in my past quite a few years ago, both mid size rabbits. But I had the impression that dwarfs were a bit more skittish or stressed due to their size, which is understandable. So now I would like to know from the people who actually have hands on experience with dwarfs, which I am hoping to find here.

Thanks...

Really each rabbit is an individual and should be judged as so. There are so many different personalities in breeds that generalizing them isn't realistic. I haven't heard anything bad about the three rabbits you are asking about

Doing my research here. If you were to reccomend a Dwarf breed for the ease of taking care of, and handling, which of these three would you reccomend? The Dwarf Hotot, or the Mini Rex or Satins?

Both of the rabbits I've had were Mini-Rexes, and they were (and are) wonderful. Every one I've known has been intelligent and all personality, and the Rex fur is really soft.

These pictures were taken at the ARBA show a few weeks ago - it's a little hard to tell size from the photos, but compare the rabbits to the cross-bars in the cages for scale

This is a Mini Rex:
minirex-smokepearl_8474-7877.jpg

So is this, my Natasha Rabbitova (got to get her in):
natasha_6070-7415.jpg

I've never had any direct experience with living with a Dwarf Hotot, nor do I know anyone who has one as a pet, but I have to say that they are one of the few breeds I've seen at rabbit shows that always seem to want to come over and say "hello".

This is a Dwarf Hotot:
dwarfhotot_8462-7812.jpg

If you're looking at a smaller breed, you'd want to look at a Mini-Satin, not a Satin - regular Satins are about the same size as a Standard Rex - eight pounds or more.

This is a Mini-Satin:
minisatin-red_8224-7881.jpg

This is a Satin:
satin-red_8242-7916.jpg

I wouldn't call the Mini-Rex a "dwarf" breed, exactly - a typical Mini-Rex is going to be around 4.5-5.5 pounds. That's small compared to a Standard Rex or Satin, but more than double the size of a Dwarf Hotot and about half again the size of a Mini Satin.

I only have experience with the mini rex, and it's limited experience at that, but if you do go with the mini rex prepare a cage for a normal sized rabbit, not a dwarf. I started my rabbit in a dwarf sized cage when she was a baby, and had to get her a bigger one a few months later. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Oh, and my mini rex doesn't look like the previous pictures
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1383715759.553173.jpg
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1383715781.983946.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a dwarf Hotot, and he's a great companion. He's not overly cuddly, but I think it's because he's in his independent teenager stage. ;) Don't get me wrong, he loves his pets, he'll run up to us and nudge our hands. We live in a small condo, so his size makes it perfect and easy to care for. He allows us to hold him and he doesn't get temperamental very often. Then every once in a while he'll give us this face:
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1383758000.096299.jpg
Lol, "do not touch my box"

I definitely recommend dwarf Hotots based on our experience. But it is true that every rabbit has a different personality, so generalizing isn't fair.

We've had our Mini Rex for 7 years and he is FANTASTIC! The calmest, most tolerant rabbit I have ever met :)

Not to mention adorable, with his curly whiskers and incredibly soft.

Latest posts

Back