Dwarf Bunny Help!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acdcfan23

Reaction score
I got a 4month old female dwarf rabbit about 2 weeks ago and i don't know if its normal or not but she thumps her foot a lot, lunges when i reach in the cage, occasional grunts, and today was being sorta crazy running around thumping and grunting. Is this just her being scared cause shes still not used to me? Any tips on getting her used to me?

Sent from my iPod touch using Rabbit Forum

Hi. Rabbits thump for many reasons some more than others. One of mine only thumps when I first let him out of his cage in the morning because he is excited to get his pellets. my new baby has thumped because she has been scared. Your rabbit being 4 months old might already be hormonal. Do you plan to have her spayed? Rabbits, females in particular are territorial of their cages and spaces so she might lung and grunt at you when you reach in the cage for her. I am sure most of her behavior is due to being in a new home. I would think that should change soon. I have had my new female netherland for 3 weeks now and she is relaxed now. If the lunging and the grunting continues I would consider that to be hormonal behavior and having her spayed would most likely fix that problem.
Best of luck!

Okay thanks so much!

Sounds hormonal to me. I think 4 months is prime time for hormones to kick in. I've read female bunnies can be territorial in their cage so reaching in may be why she grunts and lunges. If you're not planning to breed her you may want to look into getting her spayed.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

My Rabbits stomp their feet when they move into another cage that they are not familiar with. They also stomp when they sniff a bunny's scent that they do not like. Females may also stomp bc they are hormonal, as my females seem to stomp @ 4-6 months and then stop. But my males only stomp when mad. During mating, the doe may stomp bc she does not like the buck who is mounting her.
Spaying your doe should remove at least some stomping. But she may still stomp if she gets mad, or if you put food in excitement may cause stomping too.

Neutering helps to mitigate many behaviors that aren't too likeable, but they still may be lurking and come out at times. Cosmo is a neutered teen and while his behavior is getting better, I'll really be glad when he hist his "adult" period.

I think everyone covered it well. To help her get used to you can spend time in the room with her whether she is in her cage or roaming a room. You can just sit and read a book or catch up on RO on a laptop. You can talk to her or read out loud to her. Keep some pellets nearby that you can give her when she approaches you.

Like the others, sounds hormonal! My own doe got a bit like that around that time and still has her moments. Usually with her food bowl but she has simmered down A LOT. Be sure to still continue to handle her (out of the cage) to keep up with handling. Dwarf breeds can be little brats if you don't handle them very regularly. One pick up a day and working on flipping her over is enough. This will come in handy when it comes to handling her to clip nails/administer medicines/overall wellness check. So just because she's being hormonal doesn't mean you should let her go willy-nilly. :p Isn't good for her long term; just work with her and let her get used to you, treat before and after handling. (pellets, if you haven't gotten her used to veggies/fruits yet) Just wanted to warn you! More than one dwarf breeder has warned me about under-handling them.

Good luck with your bossy girl. :)

I had someone telling me that maybe her issue was from being outside and maybe wild male rabbits were getting her all wound up. So i moved her indoors and she almost a new bunny. A lot calmer (still not too fond of me reaching in the cage)!

I don't think any bunny likes us going in their cage because its their space, my bunny does the same if I start moving stuff inside his cage, I think they get used to it though

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Back