dvd ripping software

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyBug

Reaction score
anyone know of any good(and preferably free:p!) dvd ripping software? i want to put some shows and movies on my zune(mp3 player;)), we're spending two nights at my grandparents while my mom's having surgery(for breast cancer:expressionless) and we generally pack it off to the bedrooms at about 9pm.....there's no why i'll be able to sleep that early and i've been having trouble concentrating onbooks...i should have started looking sooner...we're leaving next tuesday:shock:!

anyway, thanks:p:)!

If you torrent something, (eg. limewire, Azureus (now called Vuze), Utorrent... using a bit torrent eg. mininova), you can convert the file type using the free program Prism video converter... It should do MP4 and most file types.

Only use limewire for music. Nothing else. It's pretty secure for MP3, but not for software/videos.

Check user feedback on the torrent sites like mininova and the pirate bay... otherwise you can pick up some nasty viruses/vids.

Movies on Mininova: Only use FXG or AXXO torrent release groups. They are trustworthy. A lot of files elsewhere call themselves Axxo, but they are viruses.

If your zune can play flash video, go download real player for free. Then, go to youtube and hover over videos. Click to download. Copy and paste into the zune.

(If you can't play flash files on the zune, just download them using real player, then convert to preferred file type with Prism video converter.)

Hope that helped :)

If you have pre-existing movies and stuff that you own that you want to rip:

http://lifehacker.com/380702/five-best-dvd-ripping-tools

The stuff I wrote before about limewire and torrents is technically piracy if you don't already own a commercial copy of that material.

Eg. If I own a movie (eg. Heathers), I can download a backup copy of "Heathers; can't download a copy of "the Jungle Book" if I don't already have a commercially-bought version.

However, not everyone abides by those concepts. I understand that downloading anything is still a grey area; however, if you are uploading copywritten material, you're definitely looking for trouble ;)

*** Someone, feel free to jump in re. legalities if I've made an error.

ETA: Downloading material using real player is OK (like from Youtube)

Ah, I've never had any luck ripping dvd's. I usually just download them from mininova and hope the FBI doesn't come knocking my door down. :ph34r2

wow, thanks for all this Autumn!

NorthernAutumn wrote:
If your zune can play flash video, go download real player for free. Then, go to youtube and hover over videos. Click to download. Copy and paste into the zune.

(If you can't play flash files on the zune, just download them using real player, then convert to preferred file type with Prism video converter.)

it does. i have the zune8:). i already have something like that, i use it all the time for music videos and 30 minute tv shows;).

NorthernAutumn wrote:

The stuff I wrote before about limewire and torrents is technically piracy if you don't already own a commercial copy of that material.

Eg. If I own a movie (eg. Heathers), I can download a backup copy of "Heathers; can't download a copy of "the Jungle Book" if I don't already have a commercially-bought version.

However, not everyone abides by those concepts. I understand that downloading anything is still a grey area; however, if you are uploading copywritten material, you're definitely looking for trouble ;)

i went to your link and i'm looking at the DVD shrink.....anyone used it?

i know Jess, it's all so confusing and jeez, some of this stuff is hard to work:rollseyes:shock:!

LadyBug wrote:
NorthernAutumn wrote:

oh, and when i'm downloading it, should i select 'run' or 'save':?

LadyBug wrote:
LadyBug wrote:
NorthernAutumn wrote:

oh, and when i'm downloading it, should i select 'run' or 'save':?

ok, decided on run, have it installed and everything have a dvd in, but i'm having trouble with the 'input file name:' thing. what am i supposed to input?!?!?!

thanks guys!

Ok. So I got it downloaded.

1st. Put DVD in to computer
2nd. Click Open Disk
3rd. It should Analyze disk
4th. Hit Backup and let it pick the settings if your going to change something only change where it puts the movie file when it's done.
So for me it was to Backup to the HD.
The movie i picked should take about and hour to Backup.
5th. I think you'll have a movie. Ill update you when it's done.

thanks Autumn! i had something else, not sure what it was, i followed the download link on that thing you posted and it wasn't dvd shrink! i un-installed it and installed dvd shrink, which is working now. thanks again!

help! i'm running out of time(we're leaving tomorrow at 12pm:shock:!), LOL!
ok,so i got a dvd onto the computer, but how do i get it onto my zune?! help:p!

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
Were you able to RIP it?

I don't know how the Zune players works So i will have to look it up,
yeah. it was all ready to copy it to another dvd andit'll play on 'nero showtime essentials'. i don't know what else to do:grumpy::rollseyes

I found Instructions for you.

How to add music, videos, pictures, and podcasts that you play on the computer to the Zune device loadTOCNode(3, 'moreinformation'); When you start the Zune software for the first time, the software automatically adds music, videos, pictures, and podcasts on the computer to the Zune collection. Then, you can set up the Zune software to monitor the folders in which you store your media. If you add or delete something in these folders, the Zune software updates your collection accordingly.

To prevent the Zune software from automatically adding these files to your collection, follow these steps:
  1. Start the Zune software.
  2. Click Settings[/b], click Software[/b], and then select Collection[/b].
  3. Click to clear the Automatically update album art and media information[/b] check box.
  4. Click OK[/b].
U Can look here http://www.zune.net/en-us/support/usersguide/zunesoftware/addmedia.htm

I found Instructions for you.

How to add music, videos, pictures, and podcasts that you play on the computer to the Zune device loadTOCNode(3, 'moreinformation'); When you start the Zune software for the first time, the software automatically adds music, videos, pictures, and podcasts on the computer to the Zune collection. Then, you can set up the Zune software to monitor the folders in which you store your media. If you add or delete something in these folders, the Zune software updates your collection accordingly.

To prevent the Zune software from automatically adding these files to your collection, follow these steps:
  1. Start the Zune software.
  2. Click Settings[/b], click Software[/b], and then select Collection[/b].
  3. Click to clear the Automatically update album art and media information[/b] check box.
  4. Click OK[/b].
U Can look here http://www.zune.net/en-us/support/usersguide/zunesoftware/addmedia.htm
ok.....trying......and....not working! egh! i guess i'lltry to find something on youtube:p. thanks so, so much for trying!!!:hugsquish:

What is file extension that you are trying to put on it? Maybe it's not supported?

no clue:rollseyes:shock:.

i'm trying not to think of it as a big deal so i don't get to frustrated:p. it'll give me more new stuff to watch when we get home......at least that's what i'm telling myself:D

Do you know where it located on your computer?

If so it shouldn't be that hard to find out.
Find where it is located right click on it and click Properties then look at file type. It should say something like AVI, MP4, I'm sure there is more but I can't think of the other file types.

Shoots... sorry, I've been gone all weekend :(

Take a look at the file extension on the files that are currently on your zune. A file needs to have that extension to be uploaded onto the zune.

Avi, mp4, as Rebecca said are the most common.

Use the prism converter to change your file extension. Input the file you want to change, then specify the output folder. You'll find your changed file there.

Back