Dutch STILL won't pee in his litterbox!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katmais_mommy

Reaction score
He poops in it fine. But he just won't pee in it! I cleaned it with vinegar just as other members had told me. I also sprayed cage deodorizer on it too. I eliminated the scent of his pee from the tray but he still won't pee in his cage! Beside vinegar, is there anything else I can do until I can neuter him?

Is he peeing while running around the house/room? Or is he peeing in a different spot in his cage other then the litter box?

Sorry...could you clarify for me?
You cleaned and removed his scent from the litterbox is what I am understanding...
You definately want to leave his scent in the box!
If he is new to littertraining he will need the scent to find and be encouraged use the box!

Try cleaning upanymesses outside the box with a Kleenex and then putting the dirty Kleenex in the litterbox where it should go...

If you notice there is a particular area where he chooses to go...move the litterbox to that area, once he gets the litter idea...you can slowly move it to where YOU want it...

Make sure not to go too crazy keeping the litterbox clean right away...make sure it smells like him...leave it "dirty" for a few days so he can find it! Just keep moving the Kleenexs with the urine to the litterbox for him...

Un-neutered males feel the need to mark their territory...other than cleaning it up as I mentioned above and making a point of putting where it should go...you will need to get him neutered to see a definate difference!

I hope some of this helps!

Danielle:)

Runestonez wrote:
Sorry...could you clarify for me?
You cleaned and removed his scent from the litterbox is what I am understanding...
You definately want to leave his scent in the box!
If he is new to littertraining he will need the scent to find and be encouraged use the box!

Try cleaning upanymesses outside the box with a Kleenex and then putting the dirty Kleenex in the litterbox where it should go...

If you notice there is a particular area where he chooses to go...move the litterbox to that area, once he gets the litter idea...you can slowly move it to where YOU want it...

Make sure not to go too crazy keeping the litterbox clean right away...make sure it smells like him...leave it "dirty" for a few days so he can find it! Just keep moving the Kleenexs with the urine to the litterbox for him...

Un-neutered males feel the need to mark their territory...other than cleaning it up as I mentioned above and making a point of putting where it should go...you will need to get him neutered to see a definate difference!

I hope some of this helps!

Danielle:)
I left his scent in the litterbox. I tried to clean the spots where he pees. He pees everywhere except the litterbox. However, he poops only in his litterbox, which is weird.

undergunfire wrote:
Is he peeing while running around the house/room? Or is he peeing in a different spot in his cage other then the litter box?
He pees in a different spot in his cageother than his litterbox.

Katmais_mommy wrote:
undergunfire wrote:
Then put the littertray in that 'spot' :)

Jen

jcottonl02 wrote:
Katmais_mommy wrote:
undergunfire wrote:

Jen
This is what I do too. There are 3 litter boxes in the rabbit room and 3 in the living room. Sherman knows how to go in them if we catch him peeing on the newspaper he jumps in the box lol. Little stinker.

jcottonl02 wrote:
Katmais_mommy wrote:
undergunfire wrote:

Jen
He poops in his litterbox. Then he pees in like, 3 different spots. There's only enough room for one litterbox.

Is his litterbox in one of the corners he chooses to pee in? I watched where my bun picked to pee and moved the box there, and that helped. Also, when he peed outside the box, I would take like a piece of toilet paper and dab it into the pee so it soaked it up, and put that in his litterbox so it smelled like his pee. That helped a ton too! Oh, and one last thing, he would poo everywhere and I'd scoop up the poo and put it into the litterbox. Maybe that will help? Good luck!!

As an afterthought...maybe there are too many litterboxes and he's getting confused? Just a thought.

I would try getting the pee in the litter box so he smells it in there and it might get him thinking about peeing in the box. I'd use a needless syringe to suck it up or just use a tissue to soak it up and squeeze it out into the box or just hide the tissue under the litter. Maybe it'd help.

I had a problem with my new bun not wanting to use her litter box at all, and until I had about five or six pieces of kleenex with her pee smell on it she wouldnt use it. But eventually she did and you don't understand how happy I was! haha, ya so put a lot of the pee smell in the litter box!

Latest posts

Back