Dutch mix

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pam9

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got 2 new rabbits about three weeks ago. One is a Lionhead/Angora mix, and the other is some kind of Dutch mix. I'd like to know what makes up the mix, as he's been growing really fast (he's ~11 weeks), and it's been my experience that Dutch are pretty small. I'm not sure if he's being overfed, or if he's supposed to be this size (or bigger).

You can see how he doesn't have all the typical Dutch markings. Also, you can't see it here, but the tips of his ears has dark brown fur. And his stomach is lighter than the rest of him, almost white.
25445_724527573824_5319560_41168427_4616_n.jpg

26856_724527578814_5319560_41168428_3215227_n.jpg

Any ideas? Right now, he's just over 3.5 pounds.

I don't believe he is dutch - but is instead what is called "vienna marked". That basically means he carries one gene towards becoming a blue-eyed white but he doesn't have the second gene for it - so it shows up as white on the nose and paws.

He's a cutie.

How much does he weigh?

He almost looks like Champagne D'Argent/Palomino cross...but I don't think you could get VM from those two breeds...not sure though.

At 11 weeks, he'll still grow. ;)

Emily

if he's almost 4 pounds at 11 weeks, I'm going to guess a mature weight of 7 pounds(just by how my dutch and hollands have grown)
The red coloring like that i think is called lynx, or red.
I don't htink he's dutch, the head shape and everything just isn't right, but I can't think about what he does look like breed wise, color wise, I LOVE the color. That's why I'm getting red New Zealands . . .

I think Blue is right - there's definitely some palomino there. I actually found a palomino picture that could be Butterscotch. And it looks like they're lighter underneath - which he is, with a white tail. I also took a look at the Champagne D'Argent breed - I don't think he resembles them, but I'm no expert on rabbit breeds. The Vienna marked makes sense too - he has Dutch-like markings, but I think he's going to be too big for a Dutch.

The women whose rescue group I got him from is still insisting he's a dutch mixed with either a BEW or with a mixed dutch buck, but right now he's 3.6 pounds and a little over 11 weeks. When we got him at 8 weeks, he was exactly 2.6 pounds, so the rapid weight gain was making me nervous. But if he's a palomino, his weight now sounds normal. Though if you're thinking his mature weight will be 7 pounds, there's likely something else mixed in there, since that's small for palominos - but I have no idea what it is.

Thank you all for your insight! Some more pictures below - just because I think he's SO cute :)

Eating - that's his buddy behind him. Though they're separate now.
23975_722341649434_5319560_41087872_5642050_n.jpg

25445_724523467054_5319560_41168179_473726_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back