Dumb question about breeds and specifics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiedarling

Reaction score
Hey y'all! I feel silly asking but I'm a new rabbit owner and I seem to be second guessing.

I got Lucy about a month ago, the listing for her referred to her as Checkered. I was curious if Checkered Giant is the same as a Flemish Giant or different? Does checkered refer only to her markings or are they 2 different breeds? It is my understanding that Checkered are black and white. Lucy is gray and white. Either way, she's super sweet & I love her anyway, I just would like clarification and if someone familiar with the breeds could look at her pics & tell me what they think, that would be awesome! Thanks!

Checkered Giants and Flemish Giants are different breeds.
This is a Checkered Giant
9k=
checkeredGiant.jpg

This is a Flemish Giant
2Q==
images

Your rabbit doens't really look like either. Both are pretty big, even as babies. I am not sure what breed she is, but there are many breeds that can have similar markings.

Last edited:
:DTY! I appreciate your quick response. The only pics I was able to post in my profile are from about a month ago. She is much larger now. IDK what happened on my end but the pics you posted for me won't come up on my end. I appreciate your trying for me, though. The only thing "checkered" about her really is the butterfly marking on her nose. I guess we'll see when she's full gown, huh?

I don't know why the pictures didn't show up, but I have fixed them now.

Both are fairly large breeds, that can easily get to 15 pounds or bigger. This does mean they are big as they grow. Felix, my Rhinelander, was 4 pounds at 10 weeks and 7 pounds by 4 months, he is now 11 months and about 8 pounds and full grown.

Yeah. Definitely not a checkered for sure! LOL That body is totally different. I guess since it was just a backyard breeder on craigslist, the ad was for Flemish Giants and then listed that he had a couple of different solid color ones that were sold out and still had some "checkered" ones left for sale. :thumbup She's definitely a Flemish. I just started to second guess myself, is all. Since we got her on May 20th, I swear she has more than doubled in size but she is definitely just a baby still. Her feet and ears are massive so I can't wait to see if she gets really big or not. Thanks for the pics ,too. They pretyy much summed it up for me.

She is almost 2 and although her body is shaped like a flemish(big bouncy dewlap) and her coat has the silky, lays flat after moving it in opposite direction characteristic, she is only about 7(?) pounds. hahaha! I've leraned alot about rabbits over the last year and a half, like the fact that I am absolutely in love with them! But, I still have yet to know exactly what she is specifically. Other than, she'scompletely adorable, affectionate and very sweet.:happyrabbit:

Latest posts

Back