Duckie is pulling out her hair...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckie

Reaction score
Is it normal for Duckie to be pulling out her fur? I pulled a whole bunch of fur from her mouth today and this morning I turned on the fan and bunny fur started flying around the room (not a whole lot of fur but a little bit). Should I be concerned???

Is she moulting? This is when they shed out the coat to grow a new on that is better suited to the changing weather. The fur can come out in clumps, but there is usually not bald spots if the fur comes out easily. Moulting will mean lots of fur around the house, so it is a good idea to brush her often to help control it.

She could be pulling fur to make a nest. This is usually when they are pregnant, but can also be a false pregnancy. The fur is usually taken from the chest (dewlap if she has one). She should be putting it somewhere in the cage and may also be using hay or other bedding in with it. Knowing if she is spayed, how old she is and if she has had any possible contact with an intact or recently (less that 6 weeks) neutered male in the last month.

Yes she might be moulting. Minnesota can get to be quite cold. She hasn't had contact with another rabbit (Male or female) since we bought her in April. She's about eight months old now. She is not spayed.

Latest posts

Back