Dry Irritated Eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misha

Reaction score
As some of you know, Bitsy has headtilt. Yesterday I noticed that her "open eye" is a bit irratated and red. The tearduct appears to be a bit inflamed. I can't get her to the vet today but read this:

"Then we moved to Texas. The ointment seemed to hurt her eyes, so we consulted Dr. M.J. Shifrin, of the Austin Animal Eye Clinic. He advised switching to an over-the-counter eye lubricant, such as Celluvisc or Lacrilube. Regular use of this people product seems effective as Holly has gone nine months without a scratch."

and was wondering if anyone had any experience.

Thanks so much!

It depends what the problem is. If the tear duct is infected, lubrication won't hurt but probably won't clear it up.

If the problem is dry eye, then lubrication would help. You might also want to check the humidity in her area. If you're running the air condition, it may be dry enough that you'd want to do a little misting in her area to raise the humidity.

They have a fan that runs all the time. It has never been a problem for them and the boy will sit with his face almost against it. It is probably dry in their room. I don't know if it is infected - I suspect that it is just dry. She just got off a round of anti-biotics when she had the headtilt so I'm assuming that it's just dry. I'll make an apt for her to see the vet ASAP but want to know if there's something I can do for NOW.

Latest posts

Back