Dry, flaky, patchy skin on elderly bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
When we were last at our vet appointment 2 weeks ago with Dr. Batt...I noticed dry skin on Benson where his shoulders are. Today, while I was petting him a lot...I noticed there is more dry skin when I pull the hair away, but now it is a bit flaky and it is more patchy...like spread out more and there are a couple scars.

I told Dr. Batt about it at our last appt. and she said I shouldn't be worried about it, that he may just be a tad itchy....because it was just one little spot back then.

We have an appt. on the 27th to check up on Benson's new eye ointment...to see how it is working for his eye infection. It was the soonest Saturday appt. I could get with Dr. Batt and she approved to wait that long for a check-up.

No one here has fleas and my other bunnies aren't having anything like this.

Does anyone know what this could be?

So-kee my oldest bunny gets it.. it's basically just dandruff.. I put a lilsweet oil on his skin and it heals right up..bag balm would work nicely as well.. does on So-Kee anyway..

Did you recently put some Frontline on him? Some sort of flea treatment? That can dry them out as well..

Z

I don't use chemicals on my pets. I am really contemplating getting our dog on Revolution, because of the protection from flea, ticks, parasites, worms, and heart worms. I'm just not sure I want to risk chemicals.

Anyway....I will put some bag balm on it. What about olive oil? Nakie Ralphie (my rattie) gets a rub down when his skin looks dry because it is recommended to do that to dry skin on ratties.

I almost put olive oil as well...we use it on all our animals for dry skin, we bathe the pigs in it before shows.. makes em all smooth and supple..

Z

You should see Nakie Ralphie after an olive oil rub down :inlove:.

Okie, so I can put olive oil on Ben's dry skin, too :p?

I have had no issues at all with using a good quality olive oil on my bunnies skin.
When my old buck , Slipper got sore dry skin and furless patches on his hocks, I rubbed in the oil and his sense of relief was instant, the fur grew back within days, the dry flaky patches went reddish then cleared up.

I have a bottle of olive oil and a jar of aqueous cream in my bunny first aid box.

Do you get aqueous cream in the States?

Its a ridiculously mild and perfume free all purpose cream with zero rubbishy additives and my bunnies love it. Slipper sniffs it then assumes the position of "oh mummy massage my sore legs" its so cute.
I use it on old scars, ear rubs, for warming up cold pathces of dry skin etc.
Its great too to soothe skin that has been poked with needles to administer antibiotics.

:biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back