Dropped off...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcohen1982

Reaction score
Ok, so I had a supposed 'friend' drop off a mini lop (she told me it was a mini rex) and a lionhead at my doorstep. They have no pedigrees and are about 6 months old each. She only had them for 4 months before deciding that she didn't want to take care of them anymore. I figured I could either keep them as pets, or sell them as pets only. Well, after she left she told me that she bred both of them to a mini rex a couple of days ago. *WTH, if you don't want them, WHY breed them?* So, the babies are going to be mixed breed, but the buck did have a pedigree. My questions are, Since she was so irresponsible and didn't even breed to the same breed is this going to be a problem? I know that the babies will have to be pet'ed out, but what if I keep one and breed that one to one of my MR, and get rid of the other breed line, or is that not a good idea? I know it would take many generations, but if it is done how long will it take to get the ML and LH out? I probally won't do it, but was just wondering. Thanks :help

Rachel

Think you should use a different word than "friend". That has got to be one of the most irresponsible things I've ever heard of someone doing.:soapbox:tantrum::banghead:rant::pullhair:. Think you'll have to do a wait and see.

I'm curious - If you think what she did was irresponsible, then why would you keep one and do the exact same thing? What would be your point of breeding one to your MR?

I honestly wouldn't breed a MR/LH or MR/ML cross with a purebred, as it will take THAT much longer to get purebreds back into the pedigree. If you wanted to bring another breed in to help, you need to know just exactly what you're doing. It's a very difficult and time consuming process. You also need to make sure you have plans for the kits that you don't keep. ;)

When breeders bring in another breed to help the one they already have, they don't use just any ole' mix bred. ;) They use a very good quality PUREBRED rabbit. ;) Not one that is mix bred. ;)

ETA: Also, how do you know that the buck they were bred to is indeed a Mini Rex, if she told you the ML was a MR? :wink

Emily

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
I'm curious - If you think what she did was irresponsible, then why would you keep one and do the exact same thing? What would be your point of breeding one to your MR?

I honestly wouldn't breed a MR/LH or MR/ML cross with a purebred, as it will take THAT much longer to get purebreds back into the pedigree. If you wanted to bring another breed in to help, you need to know just exactly what you're doing. It's a very difficult and time consuming process. You also need to make sure you have plans for the kits that you don't keep. ;)

When breeders bring in another breed to help the one they already have, they don't use just any ole' mix bred. ;) They use a very good quality PUREBRED rabbit. ;) Not one that is mix bred. ;)

ETA: Also, how do you know that the buck they were bred to is indeed a Mini Rex, if she told you the ML was a MR? :wink

Emily

It was more of a curiousity question on if LH or ML can be bred out eventually and if so, how long would it take. But I have no desire to do it. I am going to pet out the babies once weaned and pet out the ML and LH as well. And you have a very valid point about the buck, although she brought me his pedigree. I don't trust her, so who knows if it is even real or not.

Rachel

Latest posts

Back