Dropped 3 month Lopp, help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aedan Macdonald

Reaction score
This morning I dropped my 3 month old Holland lopp. He fell from a fare height landing on side and head area. Right after the fall he froze and put his head up with mouth open and ears wide out. I was terrified. He stopped and proceeded to hopping around and playing with the other bunny. We brought him to his cage and he seemed quite calm, eating some hay, and using his litter. Does anyone know what the body language after the drop was?

Picture is from a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• 41CDD9F9-7F78-49B0-8F20-1CCDCF355E5D.jpeg
    41CDD9F9-7F78-49B0-8F20-1CCDCF355E5D.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 12
He could have been stunned or the wind knocked out of him, but it's also possible that he has an internal injury that you aren't seeing. Being checked over by a knowledgeable rabbit vet would be the best thing, to make sure there aren't any internal injuries. Aside from that, if he starts showing any signs of being unwell, not eating, stumbling, not wanting to move around, limping, etc, get him to a rabbit vet immediately.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Just in case the lesson wasn't learned, this unfortunate incident is precisely why it is never a good idea to carry a rabbit in your arms. If you need to get a rabbit from one place to another, use a carrier (or even a cardboard box if just going from one room to another). Rabbits squirm so carrying one about is simply not safe. ;)

Read your post with interest. Hope your lop is ok. We have been thinking about getting a carrier because our lionhead tries to jump down when i carry her from cage to playpen and back even though i wrap her in a towel and keep her toght against my hip. Please let us know how your bunny is doing.

He is doing fine as of right now. Lively as ever. Eating well and hopping around. Thank goodness. He's a little trooper :) Monitoring him closely and haven't seen any weird movement or limp legs.

Hooray--they can be carried just fine, but you have to have a good 2 handed grip. We have an apple box with the lid on and 2 holes--one on each end and a small litter box filled with shredded paper. When it's time to go back to their hutch they've gotten used to going in the box and then we pick it up with our hands over the holes til it's up against their hutch.

Latest posts

Back