Droopy Ear

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim1218

Reaction score
Ijust got back from a week-long vacation and noticed that Shadow's left ear is droopy, like a floppy eared bunny ear. Her ears usually stand up straight unless she's completely relaxed. I called the bunny sitter, and he said her ear was fine this morning. I can't get agood look inside of it - she won't let me, and it's hard to see through her fluffy black fur. I'm going to call her vet in the morning, but does anyone know what might be causing her ear to droop like this?

She is running around just fine, and ate a treat I gave her. She puts her ear up part way sometime, otherwise it just hangs there. I thought she'd snub us all for sure after being gone for a week, but she's as friendly as ever.

I'm sorry, I just realized that I posted this in the wrong place! I'll repost!

It's unlikely you'll be able to see anything without a scope, and even with a scope it's difficult.

The usual things are an infection, mites, trauma or the heat.

Its tough to tell. The mites might look a little scabby or dandruffy, the infection may make the base of the ear a little hot, etc, but just as often, there isn't much to see.

sas :goodluck:

The base of her left ear is warmer than the right ear. I think it's an infection. I'm bringing her to the vet in an hour, so we'll find out for sure. Thank you!

She has an ear infection. The vet said it's mostly in the inner ear, but there was a little infection in the middle ear, too. Shadow is getting Tresaderm ear drops and Baytril pills both twice a day for the next 10 days. I have to crush up the Baytril pills and mix them with baby food to give her in a syringe. I got bananas and applesauce to try, but she has no interest in either. That doesn't suprise me because she doesn't really care for bananas or apples. I thought of trying canned pumpkin and watering it down a bit, and she's never tried pumpkin. I feel so bad for her because I had to pretty much pin her down and force the syringe in her mouth and it made a mess all over her face. I think she got most of it down, though. She's been less active than normal since we got home, but she's eating fine. I don't know if it's because she's still freaked out by the trip to the vet or if she's feeling worse. Hopefully the medicines start working and she feels better soon.

Poor girlie. I wonder if she would like squash baby food, or carrots maybe? It's sometimes a sign of a not so good vet for rabbits if they give you Baytril in tablet form--usually they have a form they can make into a suspension for you, and they will flavor it.

Glad that you got a diagnosis and some antibiotics for it. Hope it helps soon!

We're on day 8 of a 10 day treatment and Shadow isn't "cured" yet. She has her ear up for short periods of time during the day, which is better, but it's still not up all the time. She's in great spirits and eats fine, and she doesn't even hate me for syringing nasty medicine into her mouth twice a day! I'll probably bring her to another vet that our current vet recommended, but it's an hour away. Plus it's a 24 hour emercency care hospital so it'll probably be really expensive. The things we do for our babies...

Latest posts

Back