??? Drooling (resolved)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymandolinist

Reaction score
I have a Lionhead Buck and today I just noticed that all the hair from his nose to his whiskers is gone and his nose and chinare wet, I'm guessing this is drool. He is outside along with three others and it has been very hot for the past two days, but it's been real nice today. I moniter them at least three times a day, I even cleaned out their cages yesterday so I got a good look at everyone and he seemed fine then. What's up?

Ian

He's also been breathing rather heavily, more than everyone else. Everyone has had plently to drink, and plenty of hay and pellets to eat. As I said earlier they also have new bedding.

Sounds like he needs a vet.

If it's hot I would also give him something like a frozen water bottle to lay next to in case he is over heating. Maybe also move him somewhere cooler.

It could be a tooth issue and the breathing pain related, it could be over heating, it could be some sort of respiratory infection or something else completely, but he does sound like he needs a vet sharpish, to be honest.

Ok he does have hair in the areas I mentioned, they're just wet. I put him in an inside cage in my room so I can moniter him more closely. He doesn't seem to be acting very odd, other than his wet mouth and his heavy breathing. I think I might get out of the rabbit biz. At least until I have my own place. This is just too much for me at the moment. Luckily however I didn't buy but four, and I have some little ones. Overall it's been fun, but I think it would be a good idea to get outa here while I still can. :(

I'll keep at least two of them though!

Since he is doing better inside....most likely he was overheated. Rabbits have very inefficient sweat glands near their nose and will get wet or foamy near the mouth if they overheat. Not something good to see as they don't deal well with heat.

Latest posts

Back