Drooling Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halimabrooks

Reaction score
Hello, I have a bunny who was all well and happy until someone's cat passed fleas onto him, I have done everything I can to treat him myself as the vets have told me they cant treat fleas right now, I have also registered for a new vet but most of them are not accepting new pets right now. I noticed that after I gave him a flea bath he seemed super weak compared to how he usually acts. His fleas have calmed down quite a lot but he still has a few that I am trying so hard to get rid of but it is so hard ;(

I noticed something unusual under his chin, I found out he has been drooling and his chin was a little scaly and bald because of it. I immediately contacted the pet hospital because all of the vets around me cant see him straight away. I was hoping he would get checked properly but the vet only checked his mouth and said he found nothing wrong, I also stated he was showing signs he was in pain etc, grinding his teeth and making weak noises which is not normal for him, I was just told that bunnies are great at hiding illnesses etc and there was nothing else I could really do other than give him pain medication which I was prescribed (and then see what happens). What I am really scared about is if he has some kind of damage internally, and my vet was just too lazy to check him properly, I thought he would have maybe an x ray or some kind of test other than just looking in his mouth. Is there really nothing else I can do but give him pain meds? It just feels like putting a band aid on the issue, I am really worried about him and I am trying to get him to a private vet asap but no one is really responding to me, does anyone have any kind of experience with drooling in bunnies or anything that could help me help him? Or even advice on how to get rid of very stubborn fleas, it would help so much as I feel I have tried everything. I use a parasite treatment every month, I also used a powder which seemed to help with the eggs but the fleas are still lingering, I also have given him multiple flea baths which help but the problem comes right back.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated, thank you!

halima

When did you last give him the flea bath and what is the active ingredient in the flea product that you used? What were the other flea treatments that you tried? Did you also thoroughly clean your home/rabbits environment to make sure the fleas aren't coming back from the area around your rabbit. Did the drooling start before the fleas or after you started trying to treat them? Is your rabbit losing any weight and having any difficulty eating and chewing his food?

What country are you located in? Was the vet you went to considered a knowledgeable rabbit vet?

Hello, thank you for replying so fast. I gave him a flea bath two days ago (His third one). The product I use is called Beaphar Anti Parasite. I also tried Diatomaceous earth. He was a free roam bunny but I did eventually set up a playpen for him so he can find his way to the litter easier and I can keep a closer eye on him, he seems really lethargic and uninterested in me which is not like him at all, he is usually running around. I clean all around his setup and wash his toys now and then, the drooling I only noticed it a few days ago but I'm not sure if it has been going on for longer because I never spotted the patch on his chin until now. He seems to be doing okay eating wise, he is interested in food and he will get up to go eat and he still grabs treats from my hands, I don't think his weight has changed either but I'm not a 100% sure he just looks about the same. He is chewing yes, also I am in England, the vet I saw was in the PDSA pet hospital, I have never met him before and I'm not sure how knowledgeable he was, the last time I had to see a vet was over 5 years ago but they seemed more interested in helping my bunnies case and finding out the issue, Thank you for the reply! Hope this helped

Rabbits really shouldn't be washed(more than a butt bath when absolutely necessary) as it can cause some rabbits to go into shock or cardiac arrest and die. As well as if you used the dog flea shampoo, it's not really intended for rabbits and your rabbit could be having a toxic reaction to the insecticide in the wash.

The recommended safe flea spot on treatments for rabbits are either regular Advantage(imidacloprid) or Stronghold(selamectin), with Stronghold/Revolution being the better safer choice. Diatomaceous earth isn't something I would recommend using on a rabbit or in an area where it could be breathed in by them, as it can damage their lungs if they breath it in, like when grooming if it's been applied to their fur.

But at this point treating fleas is going to have to be put aside until a vet has determined if your rabbit is sick because of the insecticide in the wash. A reaction to the insecticide could also account for your rabbits drooling, but a dental issue is also possible and needs to be ruled out as well. Your vet will also need to assess your rabbits lungs, due to possible damage caused by breathing in the diamotaceous earth.

If your rabbit isn't lethargic due to the insecticide wash, then your rabbits lethargic condition could be from anemia due to the fleas and blood loss. Whichever is the case, I would get your rabbit seen immediately, today, by a knowledgeable rabbit vet. You can check the list in the link below, for a good rabbit vet, or if you want to give a town you're near, someone may be able to suggest a good rabbit vet near you. When you call to make your appointment, make sure to tell them your rabbits demenor has changed and that your rabbit is acting lethargic.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Fleas
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

Last edited:
I didn't use a dog shampoo, just warm water, he is used to butt baths and usually I just have him in less than an inch of water, he has a lot of fleas on his tummy and it really helped wash out all the eggs etc, and I have to keep washing his butt anyway because he can't clean himself well at the moment. (Also I have had him since he was a baby so he is more calm with things like that, but I understand what you mean I don't want to put him under any more stress). Also the flea treatment is for small animals, is it still bad? I will link it in case you saw the wrong one! Beaphar Anti-Parasite Spot On for Rabbits, Guinea pigs, Ferrets and Rats

I will take a look at what you mentioned too, thank you. About the diatomaceous earth, I noticed his chin/drooling before I applied that, and I made sure he didn't breathe any in as I stayed away from his face and only put it on his back and tummy, but I haven't used it since. I am working on getting him seen, he isn't registered anywhere and the vets around me are not taking any more clients since covid or most of them are always booked up and really busy, it's really difficult to get him seen right now. I will try calling one tomorrow morning, the only other option is to take him back to the pet hospital but they didn't really help with anything and they'd probably say the same things. It's really frustrating, I have noticed since taking the medication he has been moving a little more, and I haven't heard or seen him drooling either which makes me think he was doing that as a result of being in pain or distress possibly because of the fleas (which I almost have under control thankfully), I will get him seen as soon as I can, thank you for your advice and everything!

Alright, that's clearer.

The beaphar spot on is meant for rabbits, but even though it says it can treat fleas, it's really only effective against mites. The active ingredient ivermectin isn't found to really be effective against fleas, especially a heavy infestation like it sounds your rabbit has.

To treat fleas, the ones considered safe and effective for rabbits are listed in that link. Regular Advantage is the most accessible to buy otc in the UK, but if you can get Stronghold/Revolution, it's a better one to use in my opinion.

Thank you so much, I will buy that now, also he will be seen by a vet tomorrow which I'm super happy about, he is doing much better as of now which is good news. Thank you for the help! Take care

Latest posts

Back