Drinking too much water?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

existenziell

Reaction score
It has been awhile since I have posted here.

Anyway, I have a rabbit named Carl. He is a Holland Lop about 6 months old. Long story short, I took him in and rehabilitated him after he developed GI Stasis and was not getting the care that he needed at a pet store where he was for sale. I'm currently trying to find a home for him since I cannot keep him, but I am concerned that something else may be wrong with him. I want to figure this out first before he leaves my care.

He got over his stasis a month or so ago and he was doing wonderfully. Recently, though, he has been drinking a lot of water. He is still kind of a baby, so I'm wondering what is up with this. I have a pretty standard water bottle (comes with a living world cage) and he drinks at least a bottle a day. If I had to estimate, I would say that it's about 16 oz in a bottle. He urinates a lot (obviously). He has been getting kind of aggressive with the bottle too, yanking at it and putting his paws up on the cage to try and get at it better. Should I be concerned? I mean, everything else seems normal.

For those who may be curious, here is a picture of him:
DSC01204_zps44c38f00.jpg

A bottle will keep the water cleaner than a bowl will. When Pudden drank from a bowl, he drank most of the water and I was filling it every day. With the bottle, water doesn't get dirty and they drink clean water every time they drink from the bottle. Plus a bottle holds more water.

He has been having trouble keeping his bottom clean too. I have been putting him in water to try and keep him clean, but I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle.

With increased thirst and urine soaking his bottom, it sounds like a health problem. You will need to take him to the vet. If he continues to have a urine soaked bottom, it could soon develop into urine scald. It would be worthwhile to get a urinalysis done if nothing else.

This has some info on bathing a rabbits bottom with urinary issues:
http://www.disabledrabbits.com/baths--cleaning.html

Thanks for the link! He has an appointment on Thursday. I am giving him a urinary supplement made by Oxbow, and I did give him a more thorough bath with the gentlest pet shampoo I could find (I was just using water previously which wasn't helping much). He is a bit cleaner now, so I'm not as worried about scald. I was hesitant to use too much shampoo, so it's not entirely clean, but it's better. I used some stuff made by Pawganics (all natural, organic, biodegradable ingredients). It was the only thing I could think of that was remotely gentle enough to use on a rabbit.

He's doing well. The vet couldn't find anything wrong with him after doing a urine analysis. He suggested testing for diabetes, but Carl wouldn't sit still long enough for blood to be drawn. I have found that the urinary supplement has actually decreased his water consumption (not sure why that is). I did have to give him another bath because he urinated in the carrier on the way over to the vet's office and refused to clean himself thoroughly. I'm hoping his cleaning habits get better with age and getting him neutered.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm just glad he's okay. :)

Also, I hadn't mentioned this previously, but Carl will be going to a new home in a few weeks. His new owner came over today to meet him and it seems like it's going to be a good fit. He just has to buy some supplies and then Carl will be off to his forever home.

Latest posts

Back