Drink and pee excessively

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the fluffies

Reaction score
Hi, this is Dino and he is a 6+ years old neutered male bunny (he is a mixed lionhead bunny) who drinks and pee excessively. And he always have a mild urine burn.

I took him to the vet, and he use an equipment to test the dilution and said his urine is almost as clear as saline water and no sign of infection.

But the vet said it could cause by the weak bladder muscle (because he is neutered (??)) so he cannot control his urine, having the urine leakage but the Vet said it is nothing to worry and he prescribed me Methylcobalamin (B12) tablets to strengthen the muscle. But i didnt give the B12 because i am not sure if it is save for Dino.

I live in Penang, Malaysia where there is no rabbit savvy vet nearby but 5-6 hours driving from my place.

I read a few articles about renal failure and how to diagnose/confirm if my bunny is having renal failure and what is the treatment normally given for this problem?

IMG_6440.jpg

Last edited:
What you are describing was, unfortuanatly, the biggest symptom I noticed with my boy Ty when he starting going through Kidney failure, which is the same as renal failure. He just drank and drank and peed so much we could hardly keep him dry. We had blood work done to confirm it, if you can do that I would recommend it. With Ty, the numbers that were high were Urea and Creatinine, so you could test for those.

As far as treatment, there is no cure, just ways to keep them comfortable. From what I have read, depending on health of the rabbit otherwise, they last about a year after diagnosis, but Ty lasted 2 years before we had to have him put to sleep.

You can do things to make them more comfortable, such as giving them sub-q fluids and such. From what I understand, it isn't painful but as it progresses they start to feel sick.

Hopefully this isn't what is wrong with your boy :(

Is there a chance he's moulting? Ripley randomly started this while he was moulting and stopped like a month alter. Or, yes, it could be a sign I guess of Kidney failure as Kipcha described.

It is probably renal failure. A bladder muscle problem wouldn't cause the dilute urine. You can treat with sub-cutaneous fluids, but will have to be careful and look for end-stage organ failure symptoms. The drug Lasix can be given (furosimide I think?) to help with water retention, but you'll have to have a vet prescribe it.

Latest posts

Back