Dried poo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anneliese

Reaction score
My poor bunny has dried poo stuck around hisbottom/tail area. We have tried washing him but it is not coming off.Any ideas on how to get it off?
We wanta healthy, clean boy.

- Anneliese :bunnydance:

hi there

we had the same problem with lucy a few months bk

we took her to the vets and she was giving a shave arounfd her bum and tail

but the vet said with the warmer weather if she gets it again to bringher straight in as their might be a case she might get fly strike

where flys lay their eggs and eat away at the bunny

varna xxxx

Yeah, definitely check to see if there's a health-related reason for soft poos.

My lop, Peanut, has problems grooming "down there" because of an extrafold of skin around her bottom (we call it her skirt ;)). The poorthing is prone to soft poos already, and when you add not being able toclean adequately, it becomes a mess pretty fast. Even when her poos arenormal, we still have to deal with the occassional cecotroph gettingstuck.

Someone on the board mentioned using Cornstarch to clean bunny butts.I've never tried it, but it sounds like a great idea. I've found waterto be too messy, and clipping/brushing really bothers the lil' muffin.

Found the link:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/buttbath.html

Hope that helps! (and Good Luck :D)

I have noticed today that they are both doingvery soft poos. they look like clusters so I thought it may be whatthey eat. But they seem to ignore it. I have been feedin them limitedvegetable cake treats everyday. Is that too much?

Sheridan- What are vegetable caketreats? Are they treats from a pet store? I'dsuggest cutting them out and see if that helps. Your rabbitsare really young and they can be more sensitive to treats.

BunBuns- What do you feed him and how old is he? Mushy poopis often related to diet. It's not unusual for adult rabbitsto have problems with protein. Usually feeding them lesspellets or switching to a timothy-based pellet instead of alfalfa willhelp. Although a vet can check for other causes such asparasites.

In the morning he gets normal pellets. In theevening he gets a a bit less then half a carrot, broccoli and sometimesparsley and celery. Occasionly he gets some sultanas, craisins or apple.

Ok. You could try switching him totimothy pellets then. That usually helps a lot. Itmight also help to switch his veggies to leafy greens.Parsley is good, as are the darker lettuces like romaine and endive,carrot greens, kale, etc. Even if this stuff didn't botherhim before, his metabolism could have changed as he grew up.It's not unusual.

A lot of times you just need to fuss with their diet until you find what works for your individual bunny.

Timothy pellets? What difference is there between them and normal rabbit pellets? :)

~ Anneliese :bunnydance:

Anneliese,we dont have timothy pellets here inaustralia,they are an american product:),the difference is theirtimothy pellets are much better than our pellets that we canby in australia.

cheryl

ohhh ok. thanks cheryl!

i asked my dad about taking bunny to the vet to get shaved around thearea. he said no, i think it's because he doesn't want to spend themoney.

we tried washing him with warm water and bunny shampoo but it didn't work.

HELP!!

Cornstarch works wonders on dirty butts!

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/buttbath.html

I used it last night on Peanut's messy bottom. I worked the cornstarchin with my fingers, used an old toothbrush to brush the really nastyparts, and then went over it all with the bunnies' rubber brush.Amazing :thumbup

Latest posts

Back