dried corn husks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikamc

Reaction score
I bought some dried corn husks for making tamales and was wondering if it would be ok for the bunny to have them. Not as a food item, but as a toy or something to chew on?

I would not give them corn husks for two reasons. First, they are very stringy, and hard to chew. Since I know of bunnies who have gotten the strings of celery caught on their teeth and caused serious problems, I would think the same thing might happen with corn husks. They have no nutrient value.

Second, corn husks, unless they're from organically grown corn, are loaded with pesticides. I just wouldn't feed them to my bunnies when there are so many other good things to feed them and there's many other chew toys out there.

Last edited:
I'd love some toy suggestions. I bought her two bird toys, one made of a plant, looks like sugar cane but isnt, and the other made of wood and she wont touch them. She prefers to chew on my clothes. figured the corn husks would be the closest I could get to clothing lol! I understand wood has to be dried for a while before i can give it to her.

Do you have a petco or petsmart or some pet store in your area? They have a lot of great bunny toys. home made ideas- Cardboard boxes with door holes cut out
Foot stools or small chairs to jump on
Toilet roll inners stuffed with hay and
A deep tray filled with soil for them to dig in
Rabbits love stripping the bark off apple tree branches
Fill a breakfast cereal box with hay and herbs and treats
Hide treats in their hay
Branches with fruit and veg hanging from it
Things to throw about such as plastic plant pots
baby keys
newspaper
phone book
balls

I do, its where I bought the bird toys. I was not impressed by their bunny toy selection. I refuse to get anything that comes from china and thats all they had, even the apple chew sticks! have balls, she wont touch them. I'm going to try ones with bells, her vision is bad so it might be a solution. will try the pots, boxes and stuff. thanks!

The best bunny toys are home made. I stuff toilet paper tubes with hay and treats inside. Simply cutting up a box with some holes and filling with hay and lil apple tree twigs helps to entertain the rabbit. They will dig and forge in the hay box and hop in and out of there. I even have some hackie sacks around the play pen that my rabbit can push around. To be honest its best to monitor your rabbits behavior to find out what toys they like. I know some toys that make noise might startle some rabbits so its best to try different things

Still no luck on toys. heres a list of toy offerings, all of which she ignores:cardboard box, toilet paper rolls, tennis ball. kickball style ball, giant tennis ball, plastic pots, cat ball with bell, bird toys. I also bought a 16" concrete form tube. she goes through that, but not sure if its because she likes it, or because its in her way lol!

Don't think your rabbit will make a spectacle out of a toy. I've found that my rabbits way of playing is by pushing all her toys whether its a toilet paper tube or a lil chew block into a corner of her cage. She sometimes places some toys in her water bowl as well. I line up things in a line or stack blocks and she knocks them all down.I then set everything up again the same way and we do that several times. I guess that's her way of playing? A deep box with hay is also her favorite.she just digs and digs at it.the best way to play in my opinion is taking your rabbit outside in a yard preferably fenced or gated, and chase your rabbit around un till it gets tired. I used to take my rabbit to the far end of the yard and watch him run all the way back and would repeat that several times. Best way is to just study and try new things with your rabbit

Latest posts

Back