Dreaming/drooling over getting a new camera - preferably DSLR

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That giant kit has 5 lenses, only 3 of them are nikon lenses. There are plenty of third party makers of good lenses to fit nikons but the fact that this website didn't even bother to name the maker of the other two lenses is worrisome.
The buyella one sounds like it should be a refurb but doesn't state that it is. Maybe it is legit. $500 for that sounds like a fantastic deal.

TinysMom wrote:
and why is the camera w/ two lenses only $500 here?

http://www.buyella.com/product_info.php?products_id=4184167
I don't know anything about Buyella. I can't explain why it's $500, assuming it's a new camera and not a refurb and comes with the standard Nikon camera package (camera, battery and charger) - but the page says "after rebates and coupons", so maybe there is some promotion and what you'll actually pay is more than that (and you get to apply for a rebate).

The two lenses in that kit are the Nikon lenses made for such kits - 18-55mm and 55-200mm - although it appears to come with the better 55-200mm zoom (the one with Vibration Reduction - VR). That's normally about a $50 increment over the non-VR lens, and well worth the cost. The kit lenses are Nikon's consumer models, which are built more lightly than their "prosumer" or "pro" lenses, but they're optically just as good. Unless you're planning to go on safari or take up professional photojournalism (or buy a full-frame DSLR like a $3000 D700 or a D3 at $5,000 per body), they're fine.

It's a good kit, and a surprisingly good price, which makes me wonder. I'd call Adorama or Cameta or Berger Brothers one of the other better-known dealers, mention the buyella ad, and ask what the best they can do on the same kit would be.

To compare apples to apples you'll probably want to add a few extras - memory cards and a spare battery, and UV filters for both lenses, which Adorama kits tend to have.

As to the Get It Digital 5 lens kit - do NOT get it. The two basic lenses are the 18-55mm and the non-VR 55-200mm and a Nikon 50mm f1.8, but the other lenses are useless with this camera. They're offering a "preset" off brand 500mm which is a manual lens which wouldn't work with the D5000 except in fully manual mode - no metering, no autofocus, not even automatic diaphragm stop-down (I thought preset lenses had gone the way of the dodo twenty years ago). They're also throwing in two add-on auxiliary lenses which are worthless - they screw on to the other lenses, and basically are fuzzy - a few memory cards and some other stuff which you either don't need or can get cheaper. Save the money and get a basic two-lens kit from a reputable dealer. You can add the f1.8 normal lens later on if you feel the need - see the thread on fixed length lenses for a discussion of the pros and cons.

MikeScone wrote:
TinysMom wrote:
and why is the camera w/ two lenses only $500 here?

http://www.buyella.com/product_info.php?products_id=4184167
I don't know anything about Buyella. I can't explain why it's $500, assuming it's a new camera and not a refurb and comes with the standard Nikon camera package (camera, battery and charger) - but the page says "after rebates and coupons", so maybe there is some promotion and what you'll actually pay is more than that (and you get to apply for a rebate).
Ok - so I put the camera in my cart - set up an account - and tried to checkout.

I must use either Western Union money transfer or paypal (no problem).

Total - with two day express shipping is...

[align=center]$500

no hidden charges

no hidden fees

but - no chance to buy an additional warranty...

HELP?
[/align]

TinysMom wrote:
[align=center] but - no chance to buy an additional warranty...

HELP?
[/align]
I wouldn't get too concerned about that. The Nikon one-year warranty will cover any problems out-of-the-box. After a year, I've found the Nikon factory repair service is pretty good on the rare instances where I've needed to get a camera repaired. Like any consumer electronics, if it works for the first six months or so it's likely to work for its product lifetime. Three or more years down the road you're probably going to be looking at the latest and greatest, anyway.

:yeahthat:

Unless it's free (like it was for my laptop) I never get a warranty over a year, unless it also covers things like accidents (read: dropping my camera onto a cobblestone street in small town Germany), then I'd be more inclined to think twice.

MikeScone wrote:
I don't know anything about Buyella. I can't explain why it's $500,
You should be aware that the camera you are buying is a clearance item, and there is no refunds ... exchange only.

There are restrictions on thereturned item, such as it must be in new condition, in the original box, and less than 200 exposures on the shutter count.

Check the fine print.

MikeScone wrote:
Unless you're planning to go on safari or take up professional photojournalism (or buy a full-frame DSLR like a $3000 D700 or a D3 at $5,000 per body), they're fine.

If I was to buy the Nikon D3S in Edmonton, it would cost me CAN$ 5349.95.

Looking at the Buyella prices for the Nikon D3S, it is only...

regular price US$ 3,467.00

clearance price US$ 2,273.00

Why and what is the difference betweenregular and clearance at Buyella? :dunno
Sounds too good to be true. :huh

http://www.ripoffreport.com/audio-electronic-retail-stores/buyella-com/buyella-com-unable-to-contact-ffb53.htm

"
Unable to contact. Address claimed on site is a tobacco/gift shop in a mall of some sort (HILANDS TOBACCO & GIFT, LAS VEGAS, NV, 4300 MEADOWS LANE SUITE 211) not a electronics distributor. Whois shows domain registered Jun 10, 2010. Prices are too good to be true and every item you click on says "price expires Jun 24th" BE CAREFUL BEFORE PLACING ORDER! "

Something else I read also said their phone number was disconnected, though I didn't try calling myself.

Sounds like a scam to me.

missyscove wrote:
Me, too. That's why I always buy from an established company like Adorama or Cameta or Berger Brothers. There are others, I'm sure, but those are the three I've dealt with and been happy with.

Their inability to take charge cards is also a red flag, now that I think about it.

MikeScone wrote:
missyscove wrote:
Me, too. That's why I always buy from an established company like Adorama or Cameta or Berger Brothers. There are others, I'm sure, but those are the three I've dealt with and been happy with.

Their inability to take charge cards is also a red flag, now that I think about it.
Wow -- nice detective work!

I have decided to use the time between now and December to learn more about photography with the camera I have and then maybe they'll go on sale around then. At least I know this is the camera I want.

I had set aside money for it - but I decided to use the money for something else that was more important than a camera when I didn't "NEED" a camera and simply wanted one.

I will share when I get it though...in the future - for at least now I know what I want.

Remember how I decided to play with my camera?

The last one is the original photo I caught today - I was trying for the building when the car drove into the scene...I love it.

Would something like this be good enough for a contest entry somewhere?

IMG_0370-1-3.jpg

IMG_0370-1-2.jpg

IMG_0370-1-1-1.jpg

IMG_0370-1-1.jpg

IMG_0370-1.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

I have the Nikon D80 with the 70 to 300 zoom and the 18 to 135 MM. this is it.. but I got it for a steal..NOT this price.. it came with a tripod and some filters and extra batteries and 4 gig cards and a backpack for literally a cool Grand..

http://shopping.yahoo.com/23760800-...m-lens-kit/;_ylt=AtN2B3DTV_5qV_HvjPrwxXYbFt0A

I also just got, literally on the way to the Iron Maiden concert June 11th a Nikon CoolPix P100 because they dont allow cameras with removable lenses into concerts.. just point and shoot..

Here it is..

http://shopping.yahoo.com/766101552...-lcd-black/;_ylt=ArFKcjLCsKFh1EtHfPCqSigbFt0A

And the best thing I ever bought...yes I know.. everybody probably has one..

http://www.lightscoop.com/

At that price - I'd HAVE to steal the first one...

I just learned about light scoops tonight and plan to buy one....I was reading about photography, etc.

I gotta say - I do miss my Nikon - it no longer works correctly....these were taken with the Canon SX100IS. The camera is ok....but I guess my camera of choice is really a Nikon.

I am kicking myself for not getting one now - but telling myself I'm doing the right thing.

However - when I get my new camera - Eric would like my Canon...he used it some tonight and said he enjoyed it...

MikeScone wrote:
missyscove wrote:

Thank you for your custom and your recommendation! It is very much appreciated.

BTW if you ever need advice or after-sales support with an order from Adorama, you are most welcome to contact me directly.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

[email protected]

TinysMom wrote:
I was trying for the building when the car drove into the scene...I love it.
IMG_0370-1-3.jpg
I like that picture a lot - it's got a real Margaret Bourke-White or Lewis Hines Depression-era feel to it.

I'm not quite sure what the differences are between the various versions you posted - perhaps they're color shifts, which I can't see very well. I'm not a fan of vignetting or faux-frames.

If I can take the liberty, let's see what we can do with the picture in post-processing to enhance the Depression feel. The windshield smear coming in from the right is a bit distracting, and the anachronistic air conditioner could be lost. Here's my try at it - converted to black-and-white and toned sepia, with the wires cloned out and a bit of film grain added:
IMG_0370mfb.jpg

Latest posts

Back