Drastic Change in Charlie's eating Habits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoneyPot

Reaction score
Out of the blue, Charlie has stopped eating as much as he used to.

I have a hay rack full of untouched hay. No one has eaten hay in about a week. I am going out today to get a new bag because at first I thought they were just being picky, but now it appears they are not touching the hay at all.

Charlie used to sit and eat until the bowl was empty - just a pig. Then about 4 days ago, it just slowed right down. He didn't eat anything for about 24 hours. And just when I was starting to panic, he ate some parsley.

He's been playing and drinking normally, but eating - he is eating enough to get by and nothing more. I've given him some nutrical to keep his nutrients up. He won't take any Critical Care willingly, and I have not resorted to the forced feeding yet.

I'm just concerned because he's eating a little bit - it's not like he's in stasis. But just not enough that I can say he's really eating.

(sigh)

I guess I'm taking Charlie to the vet tomorrow. Hopefully it's something simple like his teeth although it sucks that now I will have 2 guys with spurs if that's the case. (sigh again).

Nadia

Could it be the weather? Mine always eat less in heat, and also if it is stormy, or 'still' (if you know what I mean).

Hopefully it is nothing major, but I can fully understand your worry. Good luck at the vets tomorrow.

Neil was wondering if it was the weather too - but our house has AC and it's not really any different than last summer. Of course now that I am typing this he has popped out of his box to eat some pellets - but usually he goes for the vegetables first, which he is not doing.

Appears suspiciously similar to Misty when she i having her spur issues...

If I'm honest, it sounds similar to my Sunshine when he had spurs. My weather thing was more a hopeful shot in the dark, if you know what I mean. I feel for you, and Charlie :(

Well the vet appointment is for today - although last night Charlie and Misty finished their dinner and this morning they both dove into the pellets. I also got a new bag of hay that seems to be a winner (although it doesn't seem drastically different in quality than the last bag just a bit softer... picky devils).

So, I may cancel the appointment for now, and chalk it up to 4 days of picky bunny... I dunno.

TinysMom wrote:
At least he wasn't in the M&Ms...

:biggrin2:

Yeah - I don't even keep chocolate in the house anymore. LOL. He got into a bag of my baking chocolate chips... we haven't homemade chocolate chip cookies since then. haha.

Ah sorry - I thought it was M&Ms .. but I knew it was SOME type of chocolate...

Such a sweet guy ... had to have a sweet tooth!

I'm glad he ate really well last night and today.

Peg

Well, Charlie was 100% back to his old self and then this morning, I heard Neil say "Well, that's odd, Misty is eating breakfast and Charlie isn't out here pigging out". So... he's back to not eating again. He took some simethicone and tummy rubs, but I don't know... Usually when I give tummy rubs, i can feel their tummy getting looser as the gas breaks up, but that wasn't happening.

Not panicking yet, just going to keep at it. I'm concerned though... twice in 3 weeks? Hmm. He hasn't been eating anything out of the ordinary and this is the first time he has every stopped eating.

(shrug)

Nadia

Nope, didn't pass the treat test. He took the papya tablet out of my hand, then put it on the floor, licked it a couple times and just sat next to it. It stayed there for about 5 minutes before Misty wandered by and snagged it.

It's like he wants to eat.,.. but then he remembers that he's not eating, so he stops.

Oh no! Charlie, you really are a worry to us.

How's your weather, Nadia? Could it be that causing him to lose his appetite? Or are you still thinking along the lines of tooth problems?

Had to smile, though, that Misty comes along and helps herself to any uneaten treats - sounds just like Pernod!

Hoping Charlie starts scarfing his food down soon.

Jan

OK so now I have a real question.

Charlie isn't doing so well. I have an appointment for him at noon tomorrow with my vet, but I'm really wondering if I should take him to the emergency vet.

He hasn't eaten anything all day. I gave him some water, so he has a bit of liquid. The thing is, I haven't forced him to eat anything because of the way he just stopped eating all of a sudden. I don't want to risk it if it is a blockage.

So I just got home and was giving his tummy a feel, and his stomach area is soft, but on the right side of his body, right below is his ribcage is a hard mass. I don't know if this is his stomach, or his intestines, or what is there... it just feels swollen and bigger than usual. His stomach area is pliable, but this area on his right side is bigger than usual.

So now I am worried. He's just sitting here - no real energy... I don't know if I can wait till noon tomorrow.....

Why don't you syringe some Pedialyte ..that will give him some electrolytes. ? Do you know what Pedialyte is??(fluid to give babies who have diarrhea and vomiting)

Yep, he's been getting simethicone, pedialyte and tummy massages all day today - no change.

We're going to go snuggle in bed with some tummy rubs again, and in the morning I'll call the vet first thing.

Nadia

Latest posts

Back