Dragging legs, incontinent, blood in urine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB Millicent

Reaction score
Hello all,
I got a call from a friend this morning whose bunny started dragging her hind legs and was soaked in urine. She took her to the vet, who said bun either has a UTI (urine test showed blood) or cancer. She was put on 2 weeks of antibiotics and the vet said if that doesn't work, it's cancer.

Now, I'm getting this info from my frantic friend who isn't medically inclined and is quite a bit upset, understandably. So that's why it seems a little vague.

Does anyone have experience with blood in urine? I'm not sure the blood was able to be seen with the naked eye. If so, I think my friend would have totally freaked out. I'm suspecting the blood showed up on a test.

That is awfully sudden to be cancer. Because of the dragging legs, I'd wonder if the bun got injured somehow. Did the vet do an x-ray? Does the rabbit have feeling in her hind legs? Did the urine test show bacteria?

:pray:

What other tests were done?
Sounds more like a clot of some sort causing just back leg paralysis (seen this in a few cats) or even a partial stroke, pinched nerve, this could be so many things and the UTI may not have anything to do with it. Was blood drawn? rads? so many things. I would even suggest a second oppinion as so many vets are way to quick to jump on 1 diagnosis especially with a species their not as familiar with.

It doesnt take much blood at all (protein) to test positive on the urine sticks. So those lovely white blood cells that are in there because of the bacteria... and yeah. Did they just do a dip stick? or was the urine actually spun down and looked at?

I know there are a lot of unanswered questions, and I wish I could have gone to the vet with her. I have left her a message to find out more details. I hope the vet didn't just jump to conclusions. The whole thing sounds a bit fishy to be "either a UTI or cancer." I'll update when I get more info.

CB Millicent wrote:
Hello all,
I got a call from a friend this morning whose bunny started dragging her hind legs and was soaked in urine. She took her to the vet, who said bun either has a UTI (urine test showed blood) or cancer. She was put on 2 weeks of antibiotics and the vet said if that doesn't work, it's cancer.

Now, I'm getting this info from my frantic friend who isn't medically inclined and is quite a bit upset, understandably. So that's why it seems a little vague.

Does anyone have experience with blood in urine? I'm not sure the blood was able to be seen with the naked eye. If so, I think my friend would have totally freaked out. I'm suspecting the blood showed up on a test.
i have alot of questions,but i am a heart attack survivor-with little time--here is a link which will help answer questions http://www.medirabbit.com --sounds like a nuerological problem-either infection/tumor/abcess--with the proper diagnosis-medication this could be repairable--i trust that it will be,,-sincerely james waller-exotic dvm:innocent

Latest posts

Back