Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Miller

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

np

Reaction score
We recently moved my Netherland Dwarf Miller to the living room, where he now has his own air conditioner (while his mom and dad sleep in the miserable heat in their room). He seems very happy with his new climate controlled location, and has taken to jumping on the futon with us when we watch TV.

The other night I was alone, watching a movie, when Miller jumped up to hang out with me. Suddenly, he lunged angrily at the TV remote control, and in a swift instant, chewed off three of the buttons! Of course I screamed and tried to get him to spit them out (like I would with a dog), but, being a bunny, he ate them all. I thought for sure he was going to die, but he's been fine, eating, drinking, pooping, and binkying as normal.

As a test, we put the remote in front of him the other day, and he lunged at it again, in Monty Python Killer Rabbit style (we pulled it away before he could eat it). We tested the other remotes (we have one for a fan, DVD player, and air conditioner), and same thing-- killer attack bunny. He's a rescue rabbit, so is it possible his mean previous owner harassed him a lot? We just can't figure out why he's acting like this, when he's normally a happy, gentle bun.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

np

First thing would be to keep all remotes out of his reach. All our bunnies are rescues too, so the only thing we know about most of them is that they were neglected or worse. One of our bunnies used to play fetch with a ball, while the others just ignored it and our ALPHA female would attack anything that moved. Hard to say why exactly the remote triggers such a response. Bunnies are an Enigma that do a lot of chewing and pooing!

Most bunnies aren't able to resist the remote control - those soft buttons are too tempting! It's strange that he's lunging at it, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was harassed or abused in his past home. Just keep them away from him and hopefully he doesn't go Killer Rabbit on any more of your things.

Latest posts

Back