Dotty's nipping!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Timmy was a nibbler when we first got him and the high pitched squeal technique entirely eliminated that problem. He doesn't even nibble on our clothing anymore.
Then again, I think that was just a habit, he wasn't trying to hurt us and it sounds like Dotty is actively trying to make you do something for her.

When I was working with Snowball on her biting, the squeal technique had the opposite effect with her. It absolutely infuriated her and she would lunge and bite.

I think this is one of those things that you really have to find what works for that bun.

Jen, any updates on Dotty's nipping? Phoebs is kind of the same way, she's never nipped aggressively, usually because she wants something (or doesn't want something, like when she's been held too long). I think sometimes she doesn't realize we have skin under our clothes because she most often bites clothes, I've never been bitten on skin actually! She also occasionally nips for no apparent reason. I've been working with her and she's getting lots better... I'm sure Dotty can improve, too!

Dotty's getting a bit better actually! She tends to only nip when she thinks you have treats. Because we have a routine of going up to bed, and taking her a treat with us, every time we go up the stairs in the evening she thinks we have treats and gets very over-excited lol! She never does it an an aggressive 'oi-what-you-doing-on-my-patch kind of way...

And ALWAYS, after she's done it, she gets all sorry. She will put her head down and lick your hand, face or whatever. It's almost like she's saying 'I didn't mean to, I'm so sorry! Please forgive me!'

Anyway, she's being spayed on Thursday now, so hopefully that will help! Poor Dotty! :p

One thing that I have done when the rabbits "offend" me, is I will quickly stand up, walk a step or two away, then very pointedly sit down with my back facing them. It's like a human-form of giving them the bunny-butt. If you are willing to forgive, then look back at them over your shoulder. It gives them the hint that they can come apologize. I have done this with Toby, and he gets it. I think Emma is a little slow sometimes. She doesn't get it. She doesn't do anything wrong, though, either...

Yeah, give Dotty the human-butt and see what happens. :p She might be confused at first, but they catch on.

I did not make this up. I read it somewhere. I'm not that crazy!

:bunnybutt:

Isn't the "ear flipping" sort of a half binky..... "haha! I got into trouble" mischievous thing?

Nick and Amelia only ever bite if they want to tell me something.
Nick will nip sometimes if I am cleaning in their pen and he would like me to stop what I am doing and leave. (More than once, he has nipped me in the rear when I was squatting down to brush up poops or hair. :shock: Or maybe he was just mad because he thought I was giving him the butt.)

Amelia is very certain of what areas are hers, and that includes thoroughfares. If I am in any of her areas, or in the path of where she wants to go, she will nip (sometimes forcefully) to let me know that it's time for me to move. If I am lucky, she will give me a warning with a very strong head bump, usually kind of sideways, as if to say "move over there now." If I don''t move, that's when she bites. I have to admit, I always re-inforce her behavior by moving when she bites me. (At which point, she will continue on her way.)

Neither of them have ever bitten me for any other reason.

I see! Bo tends to flick me off with his back feet if he's telling me off...... ears are happy or being a rotten bratty bunny which is apparently quite fun!

Here is the website where I got this info. :) Some of it gets confusing, but I just printed it all off and put it into a three-ring binder for quick reference. I found that after reading this, I got along better with Toby. I made my mum read it while I was out of town and she was bunny-sitting. She's not afraid of him anymore! She was terrified and would run out of the room when he did his happy circles! Well, she's somewhat handicapped and kind of walked out of the room quickly... No running... lol

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/rabbittalk_intro.html

The Language of Lagomorphs? I LOVE that page!

I found it about 2 weeks after we got Mouse and Chalk, when we were at that stage of saying 'what does that mean?' 'why does she do that?' 'is she mad?' etc. It's great! Thanks to that site I now nose wiggle-talk with the bunnies, and I know how to ask for kisses lol!

Even the past couple of days her nipping has actually improved quite a bit actually....

Just think of her tomorrow guys! :nerves1

Latest posts

Back