Dortmund does not like other Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took dortmund to the SPCA to see if I could find him a little friend. They let him play with a bunch of rabbits and the one thing I can say is that Dortmund will be alone forever. Deapite the fact that he has been neutered, evey rabbit they put in front of him, he bit and tried to mount. I am so diappointed in the little guy. Admittedly I didn’t really want another rabbit, but I figured Dortmund would like someone to hang out with whenhe was hiding under my bed.

sigh, it was not to be.

Out of more than 50 rescues, we have only had a few that were completely mellow with other bunnies--had a couple that would attack anything. It is no surprise that some will be on their own as they stay in family groups in nature.

Some rabbits only like a specific type of bunny. Most rabbit specific rescues will be able to find a good match for your current buns. My boy, Apollo was labelled “unbondable” when we adopted him, until he bonded with another rabbit rescues “unbondable” rabbit, a year or so later.

it could’ve been a few things also;

- was it neutral territory for both rabbits?
- were they the same sex?
- were all the rabbits involved fixed (plus up to eight weeks)?
- has it been up to eight weeks since Dortmund’s castration?

the process seems a little bit weird to me - but that may just be how it is done in other countries. At all the rescues I’ve been to, they will let you visit all the rabbits first (without your bun/bun in another room), then you choose a few options (ranking them) and they’ll try to bond them. If the first doesn’t work, they’ll go to the second, then the third - but no more after that.

Maybe in a few years, you might want another rabbit then. And maybe Dortmund will too lol

They were all fixed. They only brought out females, and while they did have more rabbits than the six they introduced to Dortmund, apparently the bulk of the rabbits they currentl had they got from a rabbit hoarder and they’d been exposed to rabbit syphilus.

Latest posts

Back