donut getting neutered!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilzzy

Reaction score
this coming thursday, donut will be getting neutered! he's my first and only bun, so i don't know what to expect, what not etc. so it'd be greatly appreciated if you all could help me out here! anything to look out for before neutering, and after? i hear that they might not eat in the first 12 hours- how about their cecals? would it hurt them to reach to get them? or do i have to feed it to them?
is it bad to lift him up after being neutered?

thanks a bunch! :)

your dvm-(rabbit-specialst)-should tell you the entire process,,plus post oper.//.the rabbit is anaesthetized--the manly parts are removed and scrotum stitched up..kinda simple--for the male,,then your job is to give meds at regular intervals,,stimulate interest in eating/pooping very important(hay-water)..the day of the surgery,the dvm will keep him until the anaesthetic has worn almost off,,they say pets live longer lives if fixed,but i have reserved opinions...sincerely james waller

Neuters are a lot easier than spays. He'll be uncomfortable for a day or so awhile and need post op pain meds beyond what they give him at the Vet's office (ask for some to take home and insist if need be).

Make sure you keep him warm when he's out of surgery, the anesthetic will cause their temperature to drop. You may want to give him a Snuggle Safe or a heated up rice or bean sock to curl up with.

Keep him from jumping, that's the main thing. And keep his area ultra clean. Give him a clean towel or blanket daily and clean his box, etc.

I wouldn't lift him for a few days seeing as the proper way is to have your hand on his butt, that may be uncomfortable for him.

sas :clover:

Pre-neuter video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/FastUpOnRabbitCare#p/u/13/eopKktnNRbU[/ame]

Post-neuter video:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/FastUpOnRabbitCare#p/u/12/2BwnW5Qe0Pw[/ame]

alright thanks. i just got him back from the vet's. is it normal for his area to be a little bloody?
i feel so bad :( he's so different from when i dropped him off! :(

Bleeding or bloody?

He'll be quiet, cold and dopey for a few hours, poor guy. Then he may start feeling better, but there might be another bump when the pain meds wear off.

How long since the surgery? Is he alert? Eating anything yet? Drinking?

sas :clover:

it just looks bloody, not bleeding. should i wash it when he starts feeling better?

it's been about 2-3 hours since his surgery. he has been sitting at the same spot since he arrived home, hasn't eaten or drank anything. however when i just went over to check him, he's responded a bit by licking my fingers so i got drops of water on my finger to encourage him to drink water :)

A little bit of dried blood is okay.

Also, most surgery areas are cleaned with betadine, which when dried can look a bit like blood too. So it could also be betadine that you are seeing.

How did they close the wound?

-Dawn

when do you guys think donut will start eating/pooping? just now he got up, moved a bit and went back to rest, did not eat/drink/poop yet.

it looks like they stitched the wound up.

He should eat and poop overnight. It may be a good idea to give him 1ml of simethicone (gas med for babies) to get any gas out. Anesthesia can cause this. I might also syringe 10ml of water to help his gut get going again. I would also give him a heat source like a hot water bottle.

Are the stitches dark or clear? Most vets use glue, instead of stitches, but clear or white stitches may be dissolving.

alright. i hope he does poop overnight. around 1-2hours ago, i tried feeding him celery, he ate 2 small leaves and didn't eat anymore. has drank much more water than when he first did, but stil has not pee-ed or pooped yet.

the stitches seem like white stitches. but i'm not too sure, couldn't see properly and plus i did not want to keep him in the position for me to look since he's still healing. what do you mean by dissolving? is that a good thing or bad thing?
the vet told me i had to take out the stitches 2 weeks later.

If the vet told you that you had to take out the stitches in 2 weeks then the stitches are not dissolving stitches. Dissolving stitches are stitches that dissolve over time. Plus it is a good thing.

Encourage your rabbit to poop/pee. Keep encouraging him to eat and drink.

What pain meds did the vet give you to take home for your rabbit?

Dissolving is good, but if the vet told you to take them out, like Sweetie said, they're not dissolving. The typical thing to use these days is tissue glue, which is a lot like super glue and it dissolves over time. The dissolving stitches are usually used internally these days, but can be used externally as well, if the vet doesn't have tissue glue. Using typical stitches is a bit old school, and makes me worry about how up to date your vet is. Don't worry about it now, just let Donut recover, but it might be a sign that in the future you need a different vet.

I had dissolving stitches for my wisdom teeth--they just fall out over time as the wound heals--a lot easier than having them removed.

Did you get take-home pain meds? Did he eat or poop overnight?

It's good that he was drinking. If he hasn't eaten, listen to his belly for gurgles--if he has them, he probably has gas from the surgery--they intubate them sometimes during the surgery (put a tube down their throat) which can introduce gas into the GI tract. Also, not eating can lead to gas, which is painful and leads to more not eating. Gas can be treated with a few doses of simethicone (Ovol, Mylicon brand names) made for babies. We had to do this for our nethie when ge got neutered.

well it's the only rabbit vet in my area :(

the meds i got were labelled as Tramadol Oral- i had to give 2 doses to him yesterday, 1 in the afternoon and 1 at night.
it doesn't seem like he ate anything overnight, however when i woke up i gave him tried giving him another leaf to eat and he did. but that was it.
he pee-ed at night and i saw 1 soft poop. it did seem more like a mushy cecal than normal poop though.

Good that he's eating and drinking, even if it isn't much.

Keep trying to hand feed him. Waving parsley or carrot tops in their faces is usually a good trick, they get mad and grab it -- and end up eating it.

Same thing with hay.

Does he seem really dopey? Or is he looking uncomfortable? Seems like he's getting a lot of a pretty strong pain med.

sas :expressionless

That is a strong med, which is good, but can make him a bit out of it like Pipp said. Just one day of meds?

just now he quite a bit of veggies again! :) he drinks a lot of water. still haven't seen normal poop, only seen that 1 mushy cecal.

he looks better than yesterday, more energetic. but he keeps grinding his teeth! yep, only 1 day of meds, i was told to call the vet if he hasn't eaten/pooped in 24 hours and they would give more meds.

just a little update. :)

donut has pooped more soft poops- but at least it's something. drinking water as much as before he got neutered. he ate A LOT of veggies, and just started to eat pellets- the first time i gave it to him and just then he went over to eat himself. :)

his 'area' is a little swollen though.

It may be swollen for a few days, he sounds like he's doing well. :) Watch for seepage and an infected area will be hot. But its unlikely. Just keep him on clean litter, surfaces.

sas :bunnydance:

alright thanks. :)

update: eating and drinking fine. still not very keen on pellets but eats 1 or 2 once in a while- prefers veggies, i guess cause it's soft and easier to munch on.
poops not as soft anymore, however they are really small.

Latest posts

Back