Don't know why Penny pees in the same spot every day

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and guess what? Today I got bonus pee. She just peed on the side that is freed up because I moved the litter box over a scooch. And then she stomped in it and tracked it all over the rabbit room.

I think that's her last chance. Bonded or not she's now confined her own space. The only thing that ever worked throughout the entire 4 months I've had her is when I made her caged space very small. 6 xpen panels big. I will let her out to play but I just can't stand her pee anymore. I was already on the edge when I started this thread. My patience with her urine had reached a boiling point but now it's completely boiled over. I am so glad I have a big vacation coming up because I really need a break from cleaning after her. :banghead

yup, I agree... try a total reno of cage area to throw her off, and surround the new litterbox with the panels, hay just slightly above box.

She certainly plays you well!:biggrin:

I think that I can't deal with her anymore ATM. I put her in a small pen space this afternoon. This evening I let her and Kirby out to play together for about an hour. All was well until I turned around for 2 minutes on my laptop and when I looked back again there it was, another puddle of pee. Back into the pen she went.

It sucks because I know the bun buns miss each other. I just mentally can't deal with any more of her pee. Maybe I will squeeze Kirby into her small pen so they can snuggle together. I think I MAY lose it if she pees one more time.

You know when you've done everything you could for an animal and they just literally piss all over your efforts? I'm done.

I had a cup of coffee at 7pm last night so I was awake most of the night. I decided to usher Kirby into Penny's little pen and they groomed each other. It was really sweet to watch... and made it all the more difficult to be so cold hearted and separate them indefinitely. :( Kirby was so lonely in his penthouse suite yesterday. I just don't think I have the heart to sever their bond over this.

Here's Penny's smaller pen now. I may move her litter box back to that end-spot where it's wedged between two pen panels. I honestly don't think it will make a difference but... whatever!
IMG_0033-1.jpg

In Penny's little pen, she is making no progress. She peed all over the place overnight. She pooped everywhere also. So, I don't know what I'm going to do.

I may very well end up re-doing her place totally, like you ladies suggested. I just don't know what I could possibly do that is different than what I have already done, you know what I mean? I'm at a loss. The only really significant thing I can think of is to put her in a standalone cage, the one that Toby used to live in. But it's *tiny* and her giant litter box would never ever fit in there, at least with any room left for her!

I'm at my wit's end...

I don't think it is wise to separate Kirby and Penny too much if they are bonded, and are used to being together.

Try getting rid of the towel for starters. No matter how much vinegar I use, my rabbits know what they have peed on, and will do it again without any qualms. Maybe try a plastic tarp for the time being?

How deep is the litter in the litterbox?

(Is she spayed? I can't remember...?)

She peed on the plain floor even before I put the towel on. She had no flooring, just the plain hardwood, for a couple weeks. Then I put vinyl flooring down for several months. The towel has only been on the floor for about a month.

I broke down and gave them their daytime hours together as usual. They are typically separated at night. That's the way it has been since they were bonded because Kirby can't get a bite to eat if they are together 24/7.

BTW this is what I found this morning... I put her water bowl in The Spot. So... she peed into the bowl...
IMG_0109.jpg

Uhh.... I don't know why she insists on peeing there! I cleaned up the entire area today and put a clean towel down. I moved the litter box to be wedged between the panels.
IMG_0110.jpg

I close up the left side, of course, but that's the gist of it for now...

Hopefully, the bed pads (when they deliver) will cover all the space around the litter box and if she pees, it won't be such a big deal. I can clean it once a day or every two days and it won't be such a stink.

The litter box is about 7 inches deep on the deep end, and about 5-6 inches deep on the shallow end. She has peed surrounding either side of the box though.

Penny was spayed in February this year.

Update: Yep, didn't take Penny long before she peed in the same spot, this time in front of the litterbox since I rotated the litterbox and it's surrounded by pen panels on either side.

I have a theory that I have sort of joked about for why she pees on the floor repetitively. It doesn't not address why she pees in that particular spot, but I think she pees and poops on the floor when she gets excited and thinks she's about to be fed. Here's why I think so:

Some days I notice that when I wake up and check in on her first thing, the floor is dry. I go to wash up, and when I revisit the bun room, she's peed on the floor. She knows that when I wake up I invariably feed the buns. And she gets very worked up about it, she's practically climbing up the sides of the pen, periscoping, charging at the pen, etc.

At night when I put the buns away for the night, I do a clean sweep of the room because Kirby and Penny have made a mess playing all day. Pooper scooper is employed to clean up every stray poop. Penny never fights me when I put her away, like my other buns. She gets super excited like a puppy and she can't contain herself and literally starts to poop everywhere she hops in, like what you would normally see with hormonal buns marking. And sometimes when she finally gets her food at night, she seems to "forget" her litter training and just squats to eat and poops where she's squatting.

...it's strange, but... do buns get so excited during meal time that they literally start to lose "it"? My husband is like "hah, she's making room for the food you're about to feed her". Oh gosh. :rollseyes

Timothy pellets.
she gets a small plate, maybe just 3-4 leaves a day. She used to get more but water content made her pee a lot and get poopie butt.
She can drink a lot if left to her own devices. But I give her around 2-3 ounces several times a day. I cannot put down a dish with a cup or a bottle. She can and has downed it all in one sitting and leaves herself none the rest of the day so I pace her manually.

I couldn't remember, but I thought she was on timothy pellets. I've read that alfalfa pellets cause rabbits to pee more (and in Gus's case, that's certainly the case! :shock:).

In the wild, rabbits get nearly all their water from the greens they eat. So that's why I asked about the salad. If she was getting a lot of salad, I was going to suggest maybe cutting back on her water.

I Googled and found some info on water consumption and it basically said rabbitson averagedrink about 3-4ounces of water per pound of bunny per day. So a 5 lb. bun should drink 6-8 ounces of water per day. (Gus drinks about 8-10 ounces. 12 if it's really hot out.) So it doesn't sound like she's drinking HUGE amounts of water.

You took her to the vet and had her checked for a URI or kidney problems, etc. didn't you?

Hope that helps!

Rue

Yes, absolutely. Penny got blood checked, urine checked and an x ray of her bladder done. She is perfectly healthy. I told the vet that she also hops kind of strange for a rabbit. Sometimes she walks like she's bipedal LOL He looked at the xray of her spine too and also tested her weight distribution and usage of her hind legs. Everything checked out. She's just a weird rabbit!

I don't know if I mentioned this but when I first got her she was easily slurping up about 8-10 crocks of water a day. As soon as I put down the crock she drank it dry. And I would do it so many times every day and she never let it alone. The more I rationed her the more reasonable her upper limit became. But she still thinks that the water dish is like, the best thing EVER lol Sometimes if I sit on the floor and my hands are wet after washing, she'll totally lick my hands dry....

I don't know if that's at all relevant to her pattern peeing though.

I know this was like a LONG time ago but I just have to put my thoughts in. I don't know if you have tried sort of re litter box training her? Like taking a paper towel and putting it in the area she pees in when she pees on it put it in the litter box and clean the area she peed in with water and vinegar. This should work after a while because rabbits usually go in the same spots and if they smell their pee in the litter box they will think they went there. The vinegar is so she stops smelling her pee where she keeps peeing.

Have you actually seen her do it?
I've seen my Timmy get in the box, back up so just the edge of his bum is over the edge, then pee.
I think he thinks he's in the box, but it just lands outside of it.
This is what I was going to suggest too. I've seen my Goose back into the corner of his litter box only to pee right over the side of it. I bought tall sided sterlite containers that I will be swapping out for the litter boxes this weekend in hopes of helping him improve his aim.

Latest posts

Back