Don't know if it's abscess or matted fur??? HELP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyLuv0704

Reaction score
I'm about freak out and I don't know if I should, or if I'm worried over nothing.

Dopey recently (within the past month or two) got matted fur around his butt and hind legs. I never really thought anything of it until today. He normally grooms himself and pulls out small clumps at a time, I've tried to cut some of the fur, but he doesnt let me. Right now he seems to be extremely sensitive back there, more sensitive than normal. He's never let me pick him up or hold him....so I can't tell how big it is, though when he lays flat on his tummy it seems to be big. When I try to touch the area he moves right away...he normally let's me touch him. Also, I noticed in his cage today there's some white dry substance....kind of looks powdery (I've never seen it before, it's never occured). It's not from his food and he normally goes to the bathroom in his litter box.

Im honestly worried, I'm trying not to be until I can call the vet in the morning to make an appointment for them to take a look.... In the meantime can anyone give any a advice to put meat ease?

Dopey is about 3 years old, he's a mini lop. Probably weighs between 2.5-3lbs. He eats as much Timothy hay as he wants, a cup of fresh veggies a day, eats Timothy hay pellets, and a few other little treats/snacks. He's an indoor bunny, stays in his cage most of the time...for about 7 hours each day he's free to run around our apartment.

Right now he seems fine, he's running around like normal....jumping and hopping. He's eating his hay and wanting his treats.

Should I be worried?

Can someone please advise?

Plesase help.... He's my baby, my love, my everything!!!

Without being able to check it, it's hard to tell what it could be.

Going to the vet is probably the best way to get a proper diagnosis.

The fact that he'sactingmostly normal is a good sign.

The white powdery residue is most likely from his urine....excess calcium.
Is he drinking normal?

:pray:

From what I can tell... he's drinking like normal. And he seems perfectly fine... just sensitive when I touch his rear end. When I touch his his fur on his right side...I notice his body shifts a little that way.

I, of course, will take him to the vet in the morning.... once I can call them. I'm just really hoping that it's matted fur and in that case, I need to find a groomer.

Thank you JimD for your prayers.... Dopey and I greatly appreciate it :)

well if hes got sludge (white powdery stuff) then alot of times that sticks to their butts and eventually its gonna burn. he probably has urine scald..
this is an example of why we need to handle our rabbits regularly...im just as guilty with one of my buns ..she will have non of it!.i can sneak up on her and grab her but i gotta put her in babydoll quickly or else shes up my arm into midair..shes a tiny little thing but strong so its hard to get a hold of her..good luck at the vets and keep us posted..

I agree. Sounds like he could have some urine scald if he's so sensitive there. The thing is, urine scald is just a side effect from a problem unless he loves to sit in a very dirty litterbox all day (I've seen that happen).If he's matted down there, and has urine scald, it's most likely becausehe getswet down there. I do believe rabbits can have excess calcium without necessarily having sludge, however, it can be anything like a urine infection, sludge, etc. so it's probably best to take him to the vet to find the cause.

Thinking of you guys and hoping he'll be less sensitive down there soon ;)

Has a vet ever checked out this area? That would be useful, since he won't let you get a good look at it. It sounds like he's in a fair amount of pain from it and is also getting urine scald on it, so an exam by a vet and some pain meds would be good. The vet may have to lightly sedate him to get a good look at it if he's in a lot of pain.

Latest posts

Back