Dont have a bunny... can you help me with questions?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horselvrkc

Reaction score

Hi ppl. ido not have a bunny but i do really want one. some questions:

1. Are they messy?

2. are they easy to leash and litter train?

3. What do they eat and how much?

4. I saw some bunnies at a petstore, and they were soo cute, and they were so scaared of me! if i got one of those, would they be easy to get used to human contact and be easy to pick up?

5. Rate a bunny on a scale of 1-10. 10 being best pet ever!

Hi and Welcome. I'm Julia and here are my opinions:

1. Are they messy?

Depends on if you're messy or not;)

Litter train yes, leash I never tried

Timothy hay (Unlimited) and Pellets, green veggies

4. I saw some bunnies at a petstore, and they were soo cute, and they were so scaared of me! if i got one of those, would they be easy to get used to human contact and be easy to pick up?

All buns are different, you're better off adopting one from somewhere that is a bit older and already had a distinct personality so you can find a good match

10!!! I'll never go without bunnies in my home!!!

Welcome aboard!

1. Are they messy? Yes and no, You do need to clean their cage and litter boxes everyday or every other day. The cage is usually the messiest thing. We let our bun roam free in the house and it is surprisingly clean.

2. are they easy to leash and litter train? Some buns can get used to the leash but not all bunnies like them. Yes you can litter train them! My bun was VERY easy to train,but others may have trouble. It just depends on the bun.

3. What do they eat and how much? A good hay based pellet, lots of Timothy hay, Salad greens like Romain lettuce, carrot tops, cilantro, and many, many more. Check out rabbit.org (HRS - House Rabbit Society)for a good list of rabbit veggies and treats.

4. I saw some bunnies at a pet store, and they were soo cute, and they were so scaared of me! if i got one of those, would they be easy to get used to human contact and be easy to pick up? Yes the bunny would get used to you. If it is a young bunny and you handle it often it may even like being held and petted, but just to warn you not all bunnies like to be held and some prefer to be left alone. Like humans each bunny has it's own distinct personality. If you're "really" interested in getting a bunny you could also check out your local animal shelter.

5. Rate a bunny on a scale of 1-10. 10 being best pet ever! 10, 10, 10!!!!!! I've had other pets and having a bunny is the best pet, they are my fav.

Thanks everyone! you guys are great! I have had mice and rats, i have a cat now, but everyone thinks i am overly obsesseed with getting new animals!

1. Are they messy?

Some are messier than others, It seems like an individual thing. I have some who have never given me problems and I have some that constantly dig through litter and food. So I just raise the food higher so they havet o stretch to reach it and I make trhe litter box walls higher. Usually you can find a solution tot he messy problem.

they really take to the litter box quite naturally. Even in a cage without al itter box, they often just go in one spot. I've had and heard of friends' rabbits who were cage trained, and just hopped back into an open cage to poop and stuff.

It depends ont he size rabbit. A lot of ''pet'' rabbit people just keep food out for bunny at all times. Or I being a breeder and keeping a large herd, I just feed mine once a day. My smaller dutches only eat between a half and 3/4 a cup of pellets plus hay. Pregnant does and does with litters are given as much food as they can eat. My large french lops get about 1 1/2 cups.

Its a little difficult in my XP to tame a crazy bunny. I've seen improvement from a lot but never a complete 180 with the exception of Cymry. I don't know what her deal was, she kind of did it on her own. A lot of pet stores order their bunnies from somewhere and the y're crazy like that because they're never really been handled and they're scared. I don't reccomend people get bunnies from pet stores. Go with your first instincts, don't settle for less when looking fo a bunny, or you'll regret it later when you have bunnyzilla to deal with. Babies are more easily tameablet han adults though. But you can nver guarentee that they'll change their mind about being crazy. Check out your local animal shelter, you can find treasures there. I see bunnies in the pennysaver a lot....even if the litter is just an accident...usually they're still handled and fussed over enough that they're sweet as can be. You can always look into breeders in your area too if there's a particular breed you admire.

Hiya, welcome to RO! :wave:

Your questions have been answered really well by everyone here. But for the last one, definitely a 10. ;)

Hope you enjoy the forum!

~~~~~~
~Michaela, Ebony, Pebble, Madison & Angel Bunny Berri~

Latest posts

Back