Dogs and rabbits - infections

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnysgalore

Reaction score
My dog, Danny, has had a stomach bug this week(apparently there has been a bit of an epidemic). Doesanybody know if rabbits can contract these bugs from dogs as my two arehouse rabbits and share the same space as Danny. Vet says ishighly unlikely but bacteria can pass from one species toanother. What do you advise?

Am concerned as I know from personal experience how serious stomach/digestive problems can be for bunnies.

I guessing that your vet has given you the bestanswer that you'll get....interspecies diseases are rare, but if youare still concerned, I would just suggest seperating them and possiblycleaning their areas a little bit more....

-Vanessa

I agree with the vet that transmission ofsomething from the dog is unlikely. The biggest concern isbite wounds or access to the dogs feces.

There has been limited research on rabbits and illnesses such asrotavirus, which can apparently be transmitted from humans to rabbitsand visa versa. Corona viruses may also cause clinicalillnesses that can be transmitted between species, but once again . . .info is limited.

Intestinal illnesses are not uncommon in rabbits and in some cases may be fatal due to dehydration or GI stasis.

I wouldn't be overly concerned, but do not allow the rabbits direct access to the dog if it is ill.

Pam

When I took Bo to the vet for his allergy (wedidn't know it was an allergy then) I asked if we could have given hima cold. He told me that we are more likely to get somedisease FROM the bunnies than to give the TO the bunnies.Infact, he didn't think there was anything we would givethem.

He told me that I really shouldn't worry too much about the bunniesgetting sick from us if we are sick. Just not to push it bykissing them in the face if we are sick.

I guess it might depend upon what vet says it, but that's what we got.

Latest posts

Back