DOG!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wooly_queen

Reaction score
Figure I would post this anywhere that I chat. lol Here goes:

So, I want to get a dog...but I need money quickly and I don't want to use my rabbit money...cuz I need my rabbit money for rabbits. lol

If I get one at the shelter it will cost $55, but if I get one from the Border Collie/Australian Sheperd Rescue here it will be $250. So I want to be safe and just get $250.

I need ideas for jobs or something I could do...it just sucks beacuse it is winter and like less than 20 degrees everyday. I was thinking about doing like dog walking around my housing development which is 7 miles and the surrounding area which is about 8 more miles. I figure there is quite a few houses and almost every one has a dog. I see them all the time! And I thought people might hate having to walk dogs in the freezing cold and might feel it in their hearts to help me out. lol Anyway I have this whole area to walk and find doggies, so how much do you think I should charge per dog? How long should the walk be? Anything else I could do with this?

I found a webpage that shows how to sew and add bling to dog collars. lol So I figured I could make cute collars and sell them locally. Put up a flyer about them at our groomers and vet office...maybe the shelter and stuff too.

Are those good ideas? If you have any ideas for me to do, please share.
smile.gif
I desperatly want a doggie!

Thanks!

The dog-walking thing is a great idea, just put up a flyer and they will come, lol. But I would highly recommend going to the shelter for a dog, they need a home desperately and you will feel awesome because you saved that dogs life, and they will know it. I find that shelter rescues make amazing pets. 2 of my mum's dogs are shelter rescues and they are awesome, extremely well behaved.

Generally if you talk to the pound, they do give the dogs shots and things when they go in. So just because you're paying 55 doesnt mean its not worth it. I'd talk to them and find out what all they do. And when you're there you can see for yourself if anyone has kennel cough and things like that. =)

I have never gotten a dog from a shelter before. We have rescued many off the street before though. lol

I have adopted two cats from out shelter though. I was going to get one from border collie/austalian sheperd rescue becuase those are the two breeds that I really want. They are put into foster homes and stuff. Its really cool. :)

I have been looking at our shelters page on petfinder and they only have lab mixes...all black. There was like 4 of them. Not what I want. I feel bad, but its just not what I really want. There was a lab/husky and he was adorable! Black ad white with blue eyes. But I don't think he will be there by the time I make the money anyway.

I am hoping to train them in obedience and agilty! I want to start showing dogs in 4-H...so I was hoping for a purepred to do conformation maybe. But it doesn't have to be for conformation. I mostly just want a smart dog that I can train easily...so thats why I wanted and aussie or a border...plus they come in awesome colors.

Is there a particular reason you want the collie/shepard breed?

I remember learning that they are very high-energy dogs that require a lot of mental and physical stimulation, and should have a lot of area.
I don't think I would have one unless I had a half acre or so, and plenty of free time to keep doggie busy.

I would personally promote you to go to the shelter... the dogs there have a very limited amount of time to find their forever home, whereas ones in a breed-specific rescue often have a more stable situation.

All of my animals have come from the shelter, and they are such a joy! No medical challenges at all, and the shelter was great.. all shots and speutering for a very low cost.

We got one of the smartest, most intelligent dogs from the shelter for my BFs family... I've never met a dog like him! Just a genius... Lab/whippet mix. Learns tricks and commands perfectly within 3 days.

Maybe you should go and visit with the shelter dogs first? I find the personality often beats out looks for me in the long run...

My $0.02 anyway :D

ETA: Hey, maybe you could foster for the local rescue?

spending that much on a dog from a rescue is nuts...

my dog was a shelter dog and he learned everything i taught him. keep an eye on craigslist too

I was thinking about fostering for the rescue. Thats what we did with cats. :)

I just don't like many breeds. We have owned quite a few different kinds (akitas, a lab, a pitbull, rotties, great danes). We have a pomeranian and a shih-tzu right now. lol

I just really like these two breeds. Plus I have plenty of time on my hands and I want train them and take them to 4-H events

I might not get either breed...its just what I really like and I want something different than whats ALWAYS around... I will probably change my mind if something cute and smart and willing to learn comes into my view.

The dogs from the rescue are spayed/neutered, heartwormed checked, have all of their shots and trained while living in foster homes. They are crate trained,potty trained, sit/stay/down etc trained. lol All of their behaviors are known.

So I think its way worth the $250.

Plus the cheapest I could find a purebred from a breeder was $600....puh. And you have to do all the work except its first shots.

I dont think 55 dollars for a dog is at all nuts. Especially because the shelter dogs are spayed / neutered and they already have their shots! Spaying a dog can cost 300 dollars. I don't think the 55 dollars would even cover their food and basic care for the time they were at the shelter. Plus the money is going towards a very good cause.

I would also recommend going to a reputable shelter, especially one that is forced to put good dogs down. Buying a dog off someone from craigslist can promote irresponsible backyard breeding / dog ownership.

This little rant is not really directed at the original poster. It just bugs me when people say 55 bucks is too much for a dog.

As for your actual question, maybe you could dog sit other peoples dogs? This would let you get a feel for what its like. I would make sure you look into all the costs associated with them, because feeding a large dog can be expensive. Just like rabbits they can turn into little money pits...

I realize this wasnt very helpful...good luck with your new canine BFF!

People seem to be coming at it like I have never owned a dog before. lol I have owned plenty of dogs in my day. Among other animals. We used to have horses and pigs and chickens back in the day.

The smallest dogs I have owned are what we have now (a pom and a shih-poo) and the biggest was two great danes that we just put to sleep two years ago because they were 10 and 11 years old and getting very sickly and were in pain. And these breeds are not more than like 45 pounds usually. Which...to me is small. lol I was used to two 150 pounds dogs running around our house for 8 years!

And I think that the person was referring to the $250 rescue dogs not the $55 shelter dogs. :) The $55 seems cheap compared to most of the other shelter prices I have seen.

wooly_queen wrote:
People seem to be coming at it like I have never owned a dog before. lol I have owned plenty of dogs in my day. Among other animals. We used to have horses and pigs and chickens back in the day.

The smallest dogs I have owned are what we have now (a pom and a shih-poo) and the biggest was two great danes that we just put to sleep two years ago because they were 10 and 11 years old and getting very sickly and were in pain. And these breeds are not more than like 45 pounds usually. Which...to me is small. lol I was used to two 150 pounds dogs running around our house for 8 years!

And I think that the person was referring to the $250 rescue dogs not the $55 shelter dogs. :) The $55 seems cheap compared to most of the other shelter prices I have seen.

didnt mean to down you in any way sorry!!!

wherever you rescue from is fine as long as you have a good healthy dog

just pointing out that 250$ seems outrageous to me...

and only bad thing about shelters everyone...is they dont have the animals checked out at all...i got a dog from there that was WORMY baad. While the fixing is cheap the dogs have cancer and allergies and other problems...there are benefits to going toa rescue

It wasn't really you. lol It's ok. I'm just saying that other places I have posted too it seems kinda like that.

$250 is a lot, but they are great dogs. :D

Sounds like you've got a lot of experience in caring and training dogs!
With a background like yours, you sure would be an absolutely perfect foster home :) Maybe get a pooch for yourself, as well as foster?

As for raising cash.. hmm... what about pet sitting?
kid sitting (kind of like dog sitting :p lol)?
Maybe there's a big hunk of ugly furniture somewhere stored away that you can sell? (I've got stuff like that :p)
Sell old video games?
Oooh! Shovel driveways! Perfect for this time of year!

ETA: If you or someone you know has a sewing machine that does embroidery, you could do custom orders for dog collars and leashes. Pop dog's name and home phone number on each... maybe some cute stars too?

Customization gets more attention than cute, and this would be very practical if doggie ever got lost.

We have an australian shepherd mix and some things for you to consider. They are VERY high energy. They like to herd the people and animals around them. And they are not always good around small animals. We have a rough time with ours in that she seems to think the cats need to be "managed" as does the rabbit. I love her dearly but now for Mopsy to be out Kaylei has to be either locked up or let outside. Just something to think about with the breed. It is possible to train them to not do this, but you're training against generations of instinct. If you do go with an aussie or an aussie mix they are very affectionate and protective and are awesome dogs :)

Have you looked into Austrailian cattle dogs as well? They're a lot like the other two. If you find the right one they're good dogs, and compete in the agility and everything too. And I can give you two rescues in Ohio and Michigan! And if you'd like more info on the breed or talk to people and see if they're another you'd be interested in, I can give you the site I'm on. They'll help find a pup. If its something you might be interested just lemme know.

They can herd all they want. The cats are used to it. lol My shih-poo is all up in their business...she tackles them! Plus I have 25 rabbits that are in cages about 4 1/2 feet off the ground and in the garage so they are safe.

And I do like the ACD's. If you have more info I would like to know it! They are a bit smaller too aren't they? I PMed you. :)

wooly_queen wrote:
They can herd all they want. The cats are used to it. lol My shih-poo is all up in their business...she tackles them! Plus I have 25 rabbits that are in cages about 4 1/2 feet off the ground and in the garage so they are safe.

And I do like the ACD's. If you have more info I would like to know it! They are a bit smaller too aren't they? I PMed you. :)

I think they're generally 16-22 inches tall at the shoulder. It says 18-22 but I've seen a lot of smaller ones. I've got pics of mine posted on here, hes 5 months, but he's on the small side.

Mine where he was a young pup when I got him, he doesnt bother any animals. Its more of a pain the older they are.

I reckon that money doesn't really matter as long as you find the right dog. If it was me I'd pay as much as I can afford for "that dog" and I think it would be great if you get one from the shelter, like everyone else mentioned they're vaccinated and desexed. Since you've already owned plenty of dogs you would know how much those two alone costs.

Anyways for the money thing, I dont know what age range you are LOL so I'm just assuming getting a full time job wouldn't be first choice lol. If you're like me and not old enough to get a "real job" then I would start with making business cards for dog walking. Something along the lines of

Sick and tired of walking your dog?
Just not enough time?
Let me help you get that pooch in shape so you don't have to! Call me on blahblahblah to arrange a meeting.

Or you know something along those lines, I think I wrote something like that when I had my flyers.

Secondly you can put up adverts for after "insert time here" jobs. for me I would write " Looking for after school jobs" But I'm not sure :L You can get payed for mowing people's lawn, doing the dishes, baby sitting, playing fetch with Fido. Etc etc.

Put up flyers EVERYWHERE. Anyways like Autumn said, selling stuff thats lying around at home is great too!

I've been in your spot... Been there done that!
Anyways goodluck ! You'll find that special dog.

Back