Dog and Rabbit...Weird Interactions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasticbunny

Reaction score
Recently, Molly and my dog Leela have been acting a little weird together.Molly will hop over, climb all over leela, and hump her for dominence. Leela seems confused, but not terribly disturbed by this behavior. She actsmostly submissive to Molly, so I am hoping this behavior subsides soon. In addition to this, Leela has started licking Molly. Molly actually seems to like it, and will tilt her head up like she does during a good nose scratch. I know she thinks she's being groomed, but is that really what Leela is doing? Leela is completely calm and unexcited while licking her, so I'm pretty sure that grooming is what is going on, but I want to be sure.

Even though Leela is very calm and gentle with the bunnies, they are never left alone. And while Leela is a 45 lb chow chow, Molly is a big girl. If Leela were acting this way with 2 lb Gus, I might be more concerned! As it is, should I be very concerned about the licking or the mounting?

Lol! Honestly, I would just keep an eye on them to make sure neither get annoyed with each other, but if they both seem to not mind their odd relationship, then I wouldn't change anything

why couldn't Leela adopt Molly as part of her pack?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhujd4lsbrM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhujd4lsbrM[/ame]

dog raises kittens. this video also shows a cheetah raising a baby baboon.

tons of pics here of strange animal combos as well
http://thewondrous.com/meet-the-unusual-animal-mommys/

squirrels.jpg

Elf Mommy wrote:
My boys have a good relationship

boys.jpg

Although Kirby is definitely ruled by Poe. :)

Poe247.jpg

Aw, SOOOO cute! I find it amazing that a dog and a bun can not only coexist easily, but actually be good friends. I mean, a toy dog I may be able to understand, but to see larger dog breeds with thier bunny buddies is really something special.

I love the last pic of Leela and Molly :) It is so sweet.

Kirby and Poe are pretty cute too!

My shepherd/lab mix herds our bunnies and cats if they get too rambunctious. It is pretty funny, she growls and chases off anyone who is being any kind of aggressive. I took one of our adopted buns back (3 buns proved too much for the guy) the daddy bun, who is neutered, tried biting and attacking Max through the cage, then he started chasing Curly, also fixed and Max's brother and nipping him and trying to dominate the unfixed girls. (Max was neutered today and caged alone, Cookie Monster the monster was moved to a cage by himself) If Cookie was out and charging Max's cage or bulling Curly, Lucy the dog would chase him to his cage! She is not overly fond of the bunnies but won't hurt them and makes them behave.
Lucy cracks me up when the kids and I take her to the dog park or Petco or the like, because if the kids separate from her or me, she is compelled to herd, which is hard to do when she is on a leash.

Latest posts

Back