Dog and Rabbit Compatibility

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah

Reaction score
Hi, I haven't been here in some time. Looks likethere's been some layout changes. I like it! Is Carolyn still around? Ialways loved her. Oh and I totally love this little gem:

:bunnydance:

Looks like my little Mella!

OK so my question. The hubby & I are planning to get a dog. Iam now home full time, because I've got a chronic pain disorder (notcool). So now as I re-evaluate my future plans, I've discovered it'spretty lonely at home. I love my bunnies of course, but they're prettyindependent and can't be relied on for the cuddling and devotion that Ineed. Plus, my maternal instincts are in overdrive. We plan to start afamily in a few years, but in the meantime, I've got too much love togive and no one who's really interested (Pauly and Mella, I'm lookingat you!)

So, after that long explanation, I'm wondering if anyone has dog andrabbit experience. I plan to get a small dog that isn't the least bitterrier or hound, as I've been warned that they will try to hurt mybabies. My rabbit's safety is paramount. So what better place to go foradvice than the brilliant Rabbits Only peeps!

So feedback please :D

First of all, good for you for checking intothis matter before going out and getting another animal. Manypeople learn the hard way when animals aren't compatible and someoneends up injured, dead or homeless. So good foryou!! :)

I don't have a dog but I've heard that dogs and rabbits can becompatible. You'll have a better chance of them getting alongif the dog is a puppy. Some older dogs are quite set in theirways and animal instinct can turn into a dead rabbit.Regardless of whether you choose a puppy or an adult dog, both animalswill need to be supervised together. :)

Oh, and be sure to check out your local humane society forhomeless dogs. Sometimes they even have puppiesthere! ;)

Good luck!!! :D

I think you should get a herding dog. My dogsare both herders and they just LOVE the rabbits. They were bred NOT tohurt the animals so I think they are perfect.

DO NOT GET A LAB!! Do not get anything that is supposed to hunt, birddog, rat dog, ANYTHING!! I had a black lab who killed anything that wasin her yard. Wether it was a kitten (RIP BBQ, PC, Eeyore, Oreo), arabbit (RIP Gemini, Copper, Jasmine), or a bird (RIP the little budgiethat showed up one day!!) No matter how much we trained her she was notwilling to let go that animals were not her food or toy.

Right now we have an Australian Sheperd/Shetland Sheepdog mix. And wehave a callahoula Leapord Dog. Both are great. Especially theCallahoula! He is my big baby and is so well trained!:D

Yeah, we love the buns. They're such spoiledlittle guys. It seems that as they get older they're muchmore...um...private? They're an extremely bonded pair. So much so thatthey really enjoy playing and loving each other exclusively now-a-days.We give them all the lovin's the want, but they prefer eachother'scompany. So we try to honor that. ;)They occassionally haveto submit, reluctantlyto some cuddling by their ridiculousparents.:)

Are raspberryswirl (forgive me if I have the name wrong) and Sebastian still around? That was one lovey bunny!

I know there's a chapter in the House Rabbit Handbook on dogs and buns.I should probably re-read that section. (it's packed in a box at themoment, 'cause we're moving)

We're definitly going to look at some shelters. I was just browsing petfinder.org today and there's tons of adorable pups.

This is such a pressing issue now, because yesterday like a fool,curiosity forced me into the Just Puppies store. It was dumb becauseI'm not down with puppy mills etc. I just couldn't resist. I decided,if I go in this store, there will be no puppy cuddling, or priceinquiries, because I don't like this sort of thing. The next thing Iknew I was in a playroom with a Bichon puppy playfully chewing my hairand rolling over for belly rubs. The problem is that they're alreadyalive, and sadly sitting in a cage in a pet store. It breaks my heart.So now I have to get over her cute little face and never set foot in apet store again. Evidently I like to torture myself. Who knew? ;)

Whew. I've had waaay too much coffee today! Does it show?:elephant:

Looks like i crossposted with youbunnylover78642. That's really interesting aboutherding dogs! I had no idea! I've always wanted a Border Collie. I'dlove to know more about how you introduced the bunnies and the dogs.

It'll be possible to keep them seperate, but of course I'd prefer not to.

Sarah wrote:
Are raspberryswirl (forgive me if I have the name wrong) and Sebastian still around? That was one lovey bunny!

Yes, Raspberry still peeks her head in here every now and then. :)

:DHi I can tell you some of myexperiences with getting a new dog. I lost my 14 yrs old beagleshepherd mix, Bonne, about two yrs. ago. She was extremely bright anddid not get along with other dogs but did likemysmall pets..she shared a water bowl with my first rabbitSheba and could be left alone with Sheba. After she died from kidneyfailure I wanted to get another dog that looked like her ,and actuallyhad a beagle shepherd mix transported from a Michigan shelter afterbeing informed that she got along with small animals....WRONG!!!!. Shewas a wonderful dog with a extremely strong prey drive. Afterresearching this I realized that "prey" behaviour is hard-wired insomedogs and I worked hard until I re-homed herwith a wonderful couple. I began to research breeds, and likeothers, focused primarily on herding breeds. If you shouldget a puppy you could possibly train the puppy to leave the rabbitsalone,however normal puppy play could injure the bunnies so even apuppy with strong potential to get along fine with the bunnies intimewould still need to be separated from the buns initially.I got a 6 month old cattledog/blueheeler mix,however the rescue groupallowed me to take her to my home to test out her behaviour with thebuns. She was fine but still way to rough and puppy-like to be allowedto be with them without extreme supervision. You can tell the dog isfriendly if the dog shows curiousity but also wags his/her tail. A dogwith strong prey drive will fixate on the rabbit (almost pointing) andsometimes almost salivating ,and will not be wagging a tail. I stronglyrecommend that you get your dog from a rescue group that fosters dogsand will work 1 on 1 with you and your specific needs. Don'tadopt a dog until you are permitted to let someone bring the puppy oradult dog to your home and test out behaviour. If allowed this scenarioyou may be able to get an adult dog who is just mellow. I have a friendwhose collie grooms her rabbits!!! Good Luck!

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I'm goingto look into herding dogs & do some more searching onpetfinder. You guys have been very helpful, as always!

-Sarah

Sarah wrote:
Looks like i crossposted with youbunnylover78642. That's really interesting aboutherding dogs! I had no idea! I've always wanted a Border Collie. I'dlove to know more about how you introduced the bunnies and the dogs.

It'll be possible to keep them seperate, but of course I'd prefer not to.
I introduced our puppy when he was 4 weeks old but you will most likelynot gett your puppy that young because it is dangerous and breeders,shelters, and petstores wont sell them that young.

I introduced my adult dog with Leo who is more placid than Luke. Lukedoesn't run but isn't interested in the dogs AT ALL!! Leo on the otherhand loves to run around with the dogs, he will let them lick him, andwill run right up and SIT on them!!:shock:

Popcorn was introduced by a leash. Once he was well trained knowing thecommands, NO, SIT, STAY, COME, GET, OVER, and CALM it was so easy.Everytime he got excited I would sayCALM and reward him forslowing down. When he got over excited and started jumping around Iwould say COME SIT STAY and then reward him! NO was used when he wouldput his paw on leo or taste his fur for the first few times. GET isonly used to get toys but came in handy when Leo ran (See Leo almostdied today). OVER is used for getting over the exercise pen.The pen doesn't open because I feel it is safer that way. SoI have to step over it and Popcorn jumps. He is great at this and Ilove it! He first learned over a broom with very tasty treats incaseyour wondering.

So the best way is to make sure he is completly trained. Make sure heloves you and can tell by your voice if you are upset angry or happy.Let him know you trust him also. It takes time. If he trys to bite thefirst thing you do is NO! And yank on the leash. You can also get aharness which we let him smell and open his mouth but will let you turnhim around quickly (when you pull the leash it is hooked to the bottomof his head so he has to turn towards you). This came in handy with ourblack lab but we never had to use it again.

I hoped I helped a little!!

I would stay away from small terriers.I am dog sitting a norfolk terrier right now and he would kill therabbits in an instant. He's gotten the message that he's notto step foot in the rabbitry, but otherwise, I don't trust him.

I just lost my 13 yr old border collie just before christmasand I agree with what everyone says here about thatbreed.

I have a 6 year old cat whom I thought would be a little touch and goaround the rabbits, especially the kits, but she's actually veryprotective and I find her keeping watch in and around the rabbitry allthe time. Probably because the spillage of feed attractsmice. In any case, she knows the rabbits are mine and aren'ton the menu. The norfolk terrier, clueless.

Hello. We acquired two bunniesrecently and they both are getting along real well with our two Boxersand our two cats. One bunny will play with thesmaller cat and the they both eat the dogs food while out runningaround the house. It is hilarious to see the two 50 lb boxerswaiting while their food is being eaten by the rabbits. I think therabbits are the rulers....and they were the last ones to arrive.

well...i think rabbits and bunnies getting alongdepends on the individual bunny and dog...also how the dog is raised,trained etc...we have a basset hound, a setter,pit bullmix(?),and a herding/wolf and they all get alonggreat with the bunny...basset hounds were actually breed forhunting rabbits...eek:shock:

I dont want to start a big argue (I have gottenblocked for these types of conversation) but I disagree and think thatthe type of dog is going to matter no matter how well they are trained.Midnight was a Black Lab. Great Dog and VERY well trained. As Long asshe wasnt around ANY animal!

Latest posts

Back