Dog and kitten problem.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissa

Reaction score
Hi all. I read all the time but rarely post (im a bit shy).

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into my problem.

I have a 7 year old Australian shepherd. She is dog reactive due to an attack. She also guards food a bit.

I had three older cats in the past. She was great with them. She only warned them off her bowl once and then all was good. She just growled.

We cat sit occasionally in our house and she is fine with that cat.

In August is fostered three kittens for a rescue. She was gentle and played nice.

Soooo yesterday we got a kitten from a shelter. He is 12 weeks old. I held him when he met the dog, he hissed and the dog backed off. Kitty sat on our laps last night and did a few nose to nose sniffs with the dog. All was well.

This morning kitten walked under the dog's head and bam. The dog just went after him. Sacred the cat who rolled over and hissed. Dog did not bite but did an open mouth attack.

I told dog no. She had a time out. When we let the dog out she totally ignored the kitten ( very close supervision because we were looking for the trigger).

I obviously am very concerned for kitty's safety. He is safe in the laundry room but I don't want him stuck there forever.

Has this happened with anyone? I was really shocked the dog acted like this. She is great with the rabbits but I will be keeping them away from her in case.

Suggestions? Comments? We have 14 days to return kitty. I don't want too, he is such a sweetheart. But I don't want him to be in danger.

Loved by:
Rory- flemish giant
Zander - Californian
Arwen - Australian shepherd
Binky Free:
Frodo, Merry, Gandalf and Willow

Does the cat have somewhere where he can get up away from the dog (like a sturdy cat tree)? If it's the kitten's first day then ideally you want to keep him isolated in whatever room his litterbox will be in until he gets the idea and then slowly expand where he has access to. A slower introduction is usually also recommended with the animals being allowed to smell eachother under a door first and working up. Otherwise, it's hard to say and may just be a one time thing or may continue to be a problem.

I hope it is just the dog being a bit jealous. We have been praising the dog all day and are taking time to specifically spend time with the dog alone.

I guess I should have waited a few days before introducing. She met the foster kittens right away and was fine so I assumed all would be well (you know what happens when you assume :) )

Kitty is safe and isolated in the laundry room. We are planning on keeping the litterbox there full time so it was the best place to start him off. It is a large room. He doesn't have a cat tree yet. I am trying to decide between two I have seen online. We threw out our old cat tree when we moved. The old cats had loved it to death anyway.

Hubby and I think we will have to keep them apart and monitored until kitty is bigger and can give a good swat. Our old cat Nix defiantly told our dog not to get in her face once. Claws on the nose hurt. The dog respected that cat from that day on. If Nix wanted the pillow, Arwen would move lol. Our other cat Maly would just cuddly with the dog constantly.

Is there any reprocussion on the dogs behavior? My dog would be the one that gets locked up if he went after my cat. A cat vs a dog and the cat is always going to loose.

Does the dog know any commands. Before ever introducing a dog to another animal mine have to know sit stay and leave it. I don't think locking up the cat is fair in any way.

This is a young cat and it doesn't know or hasn't learned how to properly tell something to back off. You should be in control of the dog at all times during introductions and not just let the cat fend for itself. Also with my trio (2 dogs and a cat) the cat is not allowed to go after the dogs just like the dogs are not allowed to go after her. My cat and our black lab definitely do not cuddle or like each other but they can be in the same room or walk by each other without fights. They both respect each others space and that's all I ask of them.

Last edited:
Arwen does know quite a few commands - she had 2 years of obedience class and I did some competitions with her. When she went after the kitten she was yelled at big time and had a 30 minute timeout in another room by herself. She is very people oriented so time outs are a big deal. Kitty was not locked up after the incident. He got a once over to make sure no teeth were involved and lots of cuddle time.

When I said isolated for the kitty I meant he was in the laundry room because we were not in the house at the time.

I just took Arwen out for some frisbee throwing and to reinforce that she has to obey. I have been a bit lax with her recently by allowing her to not bring back the frisbee and doing some other things. Hubby and I just need to step up our alpha status and let Arwen know that attacking the cat is NEVER allowed. Lots of down stay practice and back to basic manners.

Oh and kitty's name is going to be Castiel - from Supernatural. We just finally agreed.

Dogs don't get jealous ( Cesar Milan even said it) and also dogs don't get reactive from previous issues from attacks from other dogs, they don't live in the past only the future. Not sugar coating it, your dog is food aggressive. And has behavioral problems. With the correct training and patience these problems can be fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Dogs don't get jealous ( Cesar Milan even said it) and also dogs don't get reactive from previous issues from attacks from other dogs, they don't live in the past only the future. Not sugar coating it, your dog is food aggressive. And has behavioral problems. With the correct training and patience these problems can be fixed.

Cisar Milan is a TV Joke.
Dogs do get jealous, and they do remember the past.

A lot more reinforcement needs to be done with this dog. Take it back to basics, and don't let little things get away.
If a dog is this reactive, introductions need to be much slower. And you need to nix the food guarding, and work on how shes reactive to other dogs, as this all comes into play.

I don't agree. And I don't watch his tv shows. I read. A lot! And as a certified dog trainer and handler there are ways of fixing behavioral issues like this dog has.

I made a huge post in responce to the Ceaser comment. Then I decided to delete it.

Yes she is reactive from the attack. No question.

Yes I have worked with her to correct her fears. She has come a huge way with professional help and positive reinforcement.

She has never done this with anything but another dog, that is why I am concerned.

I left a message with the trainer that has worked with her. Im sure she will have some suggestions.

Loved by:
Rory- flemish giant
Zander - Californian
Arwen - Australian shepherd
Binky Free:
Frodo, Merry, Gandalf and Willow

Agree with the other dog-wise poster: step back in the introduction process. Keep Aussie on lead while introducing to kitty, who may (or may not) be inside an ex-pen or cat carrier while dog is led around it.

It's possible that the very movement of the kitten beneath the dog's head triggered an instinctive prey response (think "large rat," which is the size many young kittens are). Has your dog ever gone after rats outdoors, that you know of? Aussies often have strong prey drives, and this could have been a misguided prey drive response.

If the Aussie seems determined to go after the kitten, they may need to remain separated until the kitten becomes a grown cat: within sight of each other, each knowing the other is there, but always managed (harness, leash) when in the same room.

How does the Aussie relate to your rabbit(s)? If she's not eager to get to them, that speaks to a mistaken prey response.

(But, of course, I wasn't there. I'm bringing up this possibility b/c I don't know whether anyone else has brought it up to you. I was almost bitten by my first rescue dog because, unknowingly, I triggered an abuse memory of his by lifting the gardening hose while watering the plants.... That was definitely a misguided defensive response! He inhibited his bite at the very last millisecond.)

Dogs don't get jealous ( Cesar Milan even said it) and also dogs don't get reactive from previous issues from attacks from other dogs, they don't live in the past only the future.

I beg to differ! ALL dog owners would know that this is something dog "experts" are wrong about. Dogs CAN get jealous. My dog wants in on hugs all the time - whenever I hug anyone, he comes running, wagging his tail, wanting to be part of it.
Dogs CAN be scarred from previous experience too.
Do you have any dogs?

My dog gets very jealous. Must be the only dog who does, lol. She gets jealous when I bring my rabbits inside and ignore her. it's not a fact that dogs don't get jealous, it's just your opinion in your experience so be careful with what you say. ;) I have had my dog for 7 years, I love her to death and she has a great bond with my family, and yes she does get jealous. Dogs are very intelligent creatures you shouldn't think so low of them.

Last edited:

Oh please, it's a tv show lol. Do some research, I'm pretty sure anyone that has a dog and is close to it will know they do get jealous.

"Dogs are prone to complex emotions such as jealousy and pride, according to scientific research that sheds new light on their relationship with humans.

Canines do not like seeing their owners offering affection to other creatures, especially other dogs, and react negatively when their owners bring home new partners, the research found.

Psychologists previously believed most animals lack the "sense of self" needed to experience so-called secondary emotions such as jealousy, embarrassment, empathy or guilt. These emotions are more complex than feelings associated with instant reaction – such as anger, lust or joy."

Latest posts

Back