Does your bunny like being held?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauraelizxo

Reaction score
So, Peanut became a part of my family 2 1/2 weeks ago. He is slowly starting to warm up. He nibbles and shakes on his cage when we walk through the door, hops to our feet and will sometimes even jump up onto our laps and such.

He is 9 weeks old. Lop/rex mix. Harlequin coloring. We love him so much!

I guess my question is... Is there a chance that he will like being picked up as he ages? I know he is still super young. When we try to pick him up, he squirms and runs away. There are some times that if we grab him just right, he doesn't put up a big fight. We spend lots of time with him every day. He has his own room which he spends time in often, but he sleeps in his cage (huge cage) every night.

I guess I am just hoping he will become more willing to be held & cuddled! He enjoys being pet (petted?) right now... And he seems to get more and more comfortable with us every day. He is constantly binkying and running around the house.

Do any of you have bunnies who didn't like being held in the beginning, but grew into it and now allow it?

By the way, here is peanut :) and his cage when we first built it! ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1405351011.537549.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1405350875.062122.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1405350928.682791.jpg

Peanut is adorable! I hope that he comes around and starts to enjoy some snuggles, but don't count on it. Most bunnies don't. Bun Jovi does not like to be held at all UNLESS you're picking her up to go outside or to come back inside, she'll loaf up for that. She can be held if needed, but she prefers that you not pick her up and if you do, when you put her back down, there is much feet flicking as she's quickly hopping away from us. She does enjoy floor snuggles though...i.e. wrapping up around her as if you're holding her and giving her pets and kisses.

Barry on the other hand does love to be held. I've been holding him since I first brought him home. He actually asks to be picked up. I've had him hop up into my arms while sitting outside in his run with him. I think that was his way of telling me that he wanted to go back inside. He enjoys being rocked and sung to. I know that he enjoys this because he purrs when I hold and sing to him. He's going to get big though...about 10-12 lbs and I hope that I'll always be able to snuggle him.

SnuggleTime.jpg

Yea it really depends on the rabbits personality.

For example, Clark is like a little rag doll,he loves it when I pick him up and walk around with him! He's totally chill with being handled. He was like that ever since he was a baby. That's actually the reason I chose him. I was picking up all the bunnies in the pet store, he was the only one that didn't struggle so I thought he'd be a great first time rabbit! Boy was I right!

Lois hates being picked up and has since she was young. She's become a lot friendlier as she grew and she loves cuddles and pets but if you pick her up she will buck and kick.

So I guess it just depends on the individual personality of the bun.

My buns don't like it, but tolerate it more when we're out and about

Felix and Clem hate being picked up. Once they're being held Clementine is very still and quiet, whereas Felix will continue to squirm and try and escape. Felix is a 9 month old nethie and Clem is a 7 month old mini lop.

Moo tries to kick/jump his way out of your hands if you try to pick him up. He hates it. He's never bitten me or anything, but boy can he scratch. I don't think he does it on purpose, I think it's just his fight or flight response that kicks in and boy does he choose to fight to flight away. Haha. But as everyone else here is saying, it always depends on the buns!

Bagels hates to be picked up, although when I hold him up against my shoulder and sing to him he does purr (my roommate's ex did that when Bagels was a wee bun, so it probably feels familiar and safe)

Some don't mind at all and others act like it's the end of the world. You just have to keep working with him and we've used bribery in the past with really good success. We've had 5 out of 42 that were snuggle buns and the rest have to just give up as it is inevitable. I always remind everyone that they should train the bunny, not let the bunny train them. Bambi, a little dark
Brown Mini Rex was so shy she'd run across the room to get as far away as possible. I started giving her cilantro and parsley and now she comes when I call and follows me all around.

Neither of mine like being picked up or held. They barely tolerate being petted. Well at least by me, the wife has a little more luck with the petting.

Back