Does your bun sleep?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kopiikat

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new. I've wanted to ask this questionsince I first got my rabbit 4 years ago, but never bothered to askanyone until now.

Is it normal for a rabbit to never appear to sleep? I know of otherrabbits who are always snoozing, and the ones at the pet store oftencuddle with their eyes closed, but I have never once seen my Akiasleep! At least, I have never seen him with his eyes all the wayclosed (except when he blinks or I poke him on the head.)

Is it possible that he sleeps with his eyes open, or is it just thatevery time I walk by or wake up (he's in my room) I make a noise andwake him up? It's been confusing me since he first arrived.

Ive never seen Cadbury sleep either..I alwayswondered if he ever slept..I see pics of other people's buns and theare knocked out..Cadbury is always wide awake...maybe they do sleepwith their eyes open

yer its the same with buttons too! i never cathchim alseep hes alwasy on teh go! i bet when he gets abit oldr he willsleep! as he only 5/7 months old!

I think they sleep with their eyesopen. A easy way to tell ifthey are asleep with thier eyes open is if their noses stoptwitching. When myrabbit does close her eyes....she is out for thecount:D DEEP sleep, sometimes hard to wake herup, but she comes out of it;)

Some buns actually do sleep with their eyes open, how they can do it is beyond me but they do.

My bigger bunnies, Sampson (Flemish) and Elvis(Californian) will do they eye open sleep a lot. The restseem to close their eyes, although I don't think I've seen any of theothers in a full blown sleep. The first time I saw Sampson doit, I thought he was dead! He was laying on his side with hiseyes wide open, but the actual eyeball was rolled back in his head soall you could see was the white. :shock:

Jen

Welcome Koplicat, :wave:

Don't let those rabbits fool you. They sleep. They just sleep lightly and tend to take a lot of short naps.

As my rabbits have gotten older, they can care less if I see them sleepnow. Tucker, my Polish, rarely sleeps on his side, and a slight breezewill wake him up. When he was a baby, he used to sleep with his eyesopen all the time. He does close them now - sometimes, but for the mostpart, when he's sleeping, it looks like he's just mellowing out. When Imove closer to him, you can definitely tell he just woke up becauseyou'll see the eye focus in on you from a slightly rolled position.

Cali never sleeps with her eyes closed. It's to the point where sheflops on her side and her eyes are open and I literally have to checkto make sure she's breathing. When I had first gotten her, I swear, Ithought, "That rabbit is dead!" Gave my heart jolts all the time. Verymuch like what Jen was describing, as Cali's a Flemish too.

I had asked myself the same question when I got my first rabbit.

-Carolyn

By nature, rabbits sleep during the day and are most active at dawn and dusk.

Some people mistake their sleeping during the day as depression, but it's just what rabbits do.

-Carolyn

lmbo cadbury sleeps and itsfunny his eyes will stay part way openhis nose doesnt twitch and his head will sway back andforth then he will start to sway to much to oneside and almost fall over and it startles him awakeits sooo funny to watch.

Vash sleeps with his eyes partially openusually. Sometimes he will close them and go into deep sleep,and his hind legs will even twitch a little. He even snoresand drools, especially when I'm petting him and he falls asleep leanedagainst me.

brimmhere wrote:
cadbury sleeps and its funnyhis eyes will stay part way open and his head will sway back andforth then he will start to sway to much to oneside and almost fall over and it startles him awakeits sooo funny to watch.
That's what happens to Pebbles. Her eye lids get heavier andheavier......her head drops lower and lower......then thunk her head hits the floor andjolts herself awake," me ??? I wasn't sleeping!?!":shock:

Rainbows! :angel:

fmarano wrote:
I think they sleep with their eyes open. A easy way to tell ifthey are asleep with thier eyes open is if their noses stoptwitching.

That's true sometimes...but not always. I know that in the past my Meathas stopped twitching her nose, but has definitely not been asleep...and I'd almost swear that I've seen her twitch her nose when she *was*asleep! ^_^

I know that many rabbits never appear to sleep... it's a prey thing...they don't want to look like they're asleep because that would makethem "Easy Pickins".

OTOH, a lot of domestic rabbits *do* sleep very obviously... I'mcurious to know if this has anything to do with breed/size more thanupbringing.

All I know for sure is that the first day that Meat lived here (afterbeing offered to a sickly snake, then housed in my friend's bathroomfor several days, subsisting on carrots, lettuce, & cat food O_O ),she quickly kicked her legs out behind her, closed her eyes, & wentto sleep (as far as we can tell). Since then, I've personally watchedher fall asleep... at least as far as any non-rabbit could discern. Idon't know if this is true for other buns, but Meat rolls herhalf-closed eyes up into her head while she's falling asleep.

I am now completely convinced that I would be laughed out of my highschool FFA group if I said any of this... but it's true! :D

Latest posts

Back