Does you bunny do "dog" tricks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliew19673

Reaction score
So today at my office 3 of the employee's brought in their dogs today and all the dogs know different tricks; which made me wonder if you can "train" a bunny to do dog tricks.. I know I've seen on youTube the buns that run the obstacle course, but what off sit - come - stay - play dead, etc...?

Patrick will come when his name is called because he is a "food-hound" and knows there will be something edible for him when he arrives. :eats:It still amazes me when I see him actually come running around any corner to his special feeding place when I call his name. Actually, I am still amazed when I see him or Luna hop through the house in general because then I have to ask myself, "How lucky are you to bunnies running around the house when so many people don't?" :rabbithop

myheart

My bunnies come when called, if they aren't too distracted. They will beg, of course, what rabbit doesn't? Haha. And Keiran can spin around when I tell him to. I'm trying to teach Macey to spin too. But that's all they know.

XxMontanaxX wrote:
They will beg, of course, what rabbit doesn't? Haha.
Yes, I forgot to mention that same thing... Patrick can "sit up and beg." Actually, he does that on his own. I can never resist that kind of cuteness so I end up digging out some sort of treat. Then the question arises, "Who has whom trained...?":?

myheart

Bo plays fetch with his toys, throws toys to us, rings a bell in his cage for us to come running for his needs, plays hide-and-seek and will put stacking cups into each other if you hold one for him to put the other in.....

Clover and TOny can do the bell trick...

You know, he just started playing when we played this "where's the bunny" game - we'd joke and say "where'd he go?!" when he was under a blanket or under the loveseat or something........ then we noticed he was really hiding! and he started playing with the cat!

Here are some pictures of his hiding places.... and he IS playing hide and seek -notice we can see him LOL!

This first one - he would get in this toy barn we have and he could close the stall door! it was so funny to see him - he hasn't played in it lately..... it even has little hayracks! LOL!

NOBUNHERE.jpg

noseeme.jpg

hidenseek.jpg

I love the "hide and seek" game - that made me laugh out loud! And XXMontanaxX how did you train your buns to spin? Both hysterical! I can get Baxter! to come to me when I crouch down and clap my hands - he will run over and "stand up" on his back legs to get picked up - but have found this is only when were alone.. If someone else is there he just "looks" at me as if "what?".. lol...

I haven't tried getting him to do a trick perse, but would think you could with the proper "treat" to be given...

So curious buns are.. Too smart and determind to be given to such cat/dog behaviour but I KNOW they have it in them.. I thought cats were obstinate until, I met Baxter!

My 3-month old purebred-mini-rex-buck, Ray, knows two tricks: Beg and Spin. He is GREAT at both tricks, but very aggressive when he does spin. He kind of spins maniaclly (sp?) and then charges you and grunts, etc. I'm not sure if he's doing it for fun, or if he gets mad that you don't give him treats afterwords? But, he doesn't need the treats now to get him to spin or beg. To get him to beg, you just say Ray, and then either Beg or make a clicking noise, and he's up as tall as he can go.

With spin, you just hold our your fingers in the "snapping" position and twirl them around him. He'll follow them and then get kinda angry, lol.

Honestly, though, I think he's more mountain goat. ;) He can -somehow!- get out of his two-panel tall NIC pen (that has no top) and he climbs up on top of the carrying cages, etc. He does it with ease, and skill, and he's never taken a tumble, and he's so precise at how he does it. Of course, he gets in trouble when we find him out of his pen.

Emily

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Honestly, though, I think he's more mountain goat. ;) He can -somehow!- get out of his two-panel tall NIC pen (that has no top) and he climbs up on top of the carrying cages, etc. He does it with ease, and skill, and he's never taken a tumble, and he's so precise at how he does it. Of course, he gets in trouble when we find him out of his pen.

Emily
Oh NO! :shock: I see Baxter! eyeing his NIC cage height - he hasn't figured out yet that he "could" climb and/or jump over his little "patio area that is not covered in his NIC pen - but most likely being a minirex, I'm guessing he will figure it out if I leave him in there enought to "irritate" himself - SO glad you mentioned this!

Oh yes! they can climb! I knew someone who had a dutch that scaled a 6 or 7 foot brick wall on her patio!!!! :shock:

That video is precious! I wish Bo still gave me kisses like that! I can't even try cause he's bitten me on the mouth before :(

My Sunshine knows the word kiss..i know it's not really a trick but still....everytime i say 'give mummy kiss' she will lick my nose...my other buns won't do it though...just Sunny bunny...she's so cute

I never thought of getting it on video before...but i will have to now ;)

Cheryl

I don't believe that a rabbit can learn "tricks" the way a dog does. Not because rabbits are not clever, but because it doesn't suit their personality. I read in an article a few months ago that rabbits are different from dogs, apart from a whole lot of other aspects, also in that they don't feel the urge to try to please their humans. They just do what pleases themselves. Having lived with buns for the last 8 years, I know it's true. My Vitto plays a whole lot of different games, but HE has invented them, not me. I'm the one to adjust to his games and take part in them. To my opinion, interspecies tele-communication is the reason they come when we call them, they go to their bawl when we say it's dinner time, they lick our nose when we express our love etc. The fact remains that they are so clever and so witty!

Marietta

cheryl wrote:
My Sunshine knows the word kiss..i know it's not really a trick but still....everytime i say 'give mummy kiss' she will lick my nose...my other buns won't do it though...just Sunny bunny...she's so cute

Cheryl
Cheryl you MUST get this on video as it would be SO cute!!! I think you would cherish it and I woudl love to see it!

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaah none of minereally know tricks. Wiggles did a lot of the things mentionned here but she and I had a special bond. I loved playing hide and seek ortag with her (I'd basically run after her til I caught up, turn run the other way and she'd run to me. Lol). She could thump on cue, all I had to do was say "No". LOL. Seriously! She loved me tapping my hand after her, it would make her binky. I caught the last time she did it before passing on video. :)Bunching up a blankie and chasing her with it did the same thing. She'd scratch at my pants to be picked up, use my legs as a slide if placed at the right angle (she'd come up, slide, jump up, slide... Lol) So it was little things like that... Bam-Bam and Annabel come when called. Dahlia and Ariella have eyes and ears only for each other :p

MsBinky wrote:
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaah none of minereally know tricks. Wiggles did a lot of the things mentionned here but she and I had a special bond. I loved playing hide and seek ortag with her (I'd basically run after her til I caught up, turn run the other way and she'd run to me. Lol).

Seems a common theme with buns, Baxter! loves to be chased or the "chaser"..

And I have started to try to pay more attention to Baxter!'s suggestion of games from Bo B Bunny's suggestion that they make up their own games - and I think Baxter! and I are just starting to "communicate" with each other - but were both kinda dylesic (sp) - LOL..

juliew19673 wrote:
cheryl wrote:

Cheryl
Cheryl you MUST get this on video as it would be SO cute!!! I think you would cherish it and I woudl love to see it!

Julie i will most definitely get it on video and post it in my blog sometime...i just don't know why i didn't think of doing that before....and yes it will be something that i can cherish forever :)

The funny thing is my son Jeremywill ask her to give him a kiss....hehe she just hops away lol...Sunny loves her mum ;)

Cheryl

Latest posts

Back