Does This Sound Like Coccidiosis to You?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akkatia

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm going straight to the point. MyFlorida White buck has diarheaon his underside and he has areally strong ammonia to him. He is overweight for his breed, which iswhy he was retired from 4-H, but his cage was recently kinda dirty. Ispent 4 hours outside cleaning crocks and cages and nest boxes! We'vebeen at the Salamonie camping from Friday to Monday, and we just gotback yesterday at 5:00 p.m. My Dad's the one who's been feeding therabbits, and... well, he's not very observant, lol. Do you think thisis Coccidiosis, and do you think i should get some sulpha medicine?Please reply soon!

Does he have normal poops as well, or justdiarrhea? I thought coccidia was more of a problem in youngrabbits, although I could be wrong. It could be cecotropeproblems, especially since he is over weight and may be unable to cleanhis rear end. If that is so, he would also have normalfecals. If you think that is it, reduce his pellets (orswitch to lower protein pellets), give more grass hay, and give himmore exercise.

Check here for more info on different causes of diarrhea:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11935&forum_id=10

Well... they're wet, oval shaped droppings. AndI can hardly reduce his feed because he's been on a two-ounce diet allof his life. I had the same problem last year with a Mini lop. But whenI reduced his feed, he got thin an bony, so I brought it back up tothree ounces, and then he died.

Can you have a vet check him? Or bringa fecal sample in to be tested? A fecal float only costs $15at my vet's. That would show parasites or overgrowth ofcoccidia. Although with coccidia you do have to take it witha grain of salt if the vet isn't good because there is usually a smallamount present, and some vets don't realize that. But testingis much better than treating without knowing the cause.

Most rabbits with soft or runny droppings arealso suffering from a coccidia overgrowth in addition to whatever causethe digestive issues in the first place. It is imperativethat you have the droppings tested for a cocci overgrowth to determinewhat treatment may be needed. Coccidia normally inhabit thedigestive tract, but generally only over populate when the rabbit isill.

Pam

I don't ever see the vet for my rabbits,actually. I never have. I don't have a close bond with my rabbits,because I sell them for meat and process and stuff like that. So ifthis is a death matter, I will probably just isolate him until hepasses away. But I'm going to go ahead and treat him withsulpha-treated water.

Good herd management and adherence to animal welfare laws apply whether you have rabbits as livestock or pets.

Pam

Akkatia wrote:
Idon't ever see the vet for my rabbits, actually. I never have. I don'thave a close bond with my rabbits, because I sell them for meat andprocess and stuff like that. So if this is a death matter, I willprobably just isolate him until he passes away. But I'm going to goahead and treat him with sulpha-treated water.
Be careful of what you treat him with as a lot of medications willtaint the meat and render it unconsumable - even to other animals.

Honestly, if it was a rabbit in my herd, I would choose to end it'ssuffering than sit with potential Coccidiosis until it's own demise.:? Altough I would first take a stool sample in to my vet foranalysis before jumping to conclusions. That way I'll knowexactly what I'm dealing with and what the proper treatment should be -euthanization or a simple change in diet.

~Sunshine

Akkatia wrote:
Idon't ever see the vet for my rabbits, actually. I never have. I don'thave a close bond with my rabbits, because I sell them for meat andprocess and stuff like that. So if this is a death matter, I willprobably just isolate him until he passes away. But I'm going to goahead and treat him with sulpha-treated water.

Wow, i have to say i think this is pretty insensitive to postconsidering all of us here love our rabbits as dear pets.

I know I'm feeling pretty saddened now. :cry1

Well, it's not like that with all of them. Andthis rabbit that I'm talking about isn't a meat rabbit, anyway. And themedicine I was talking about can be used to cure or can also be used ona regular basis as a preventative, so it can't hurt. I have Dutchlitters that I have processed, and I've learned that I can't have agood relationship with any of them, except a couple of my favorite showDutch (Black, Snickers, Hershey, and Zeek). When I did get a goodrelationship with my first litter getting ready to be processed, theytook them away, and I learned from there.So no, it's notinsensitive. I already said that I was going to give him Sulpha-water.

Let me rephrase what I said earlier: I'm going to isolate him, give himSulpha-water, and keep giving him sulpha-water. If it doesn't work,then I don't know what I'm going to do. That's why I got on here to askyou guys.

If nothing works, how would you end his suffering?

Due to issues with possible resistance to sulfadrugs, it is not advisable to use the medication as apreventative. This is the reason why such drugs are no longermixed into rabbit feeds.

Using any type of antibioticis especially a concern if youare having your animals processed becauseaccurate drugwithdrawal times are not well researched in rabbits. For thisreason, I advise against medicating rabbits destined for themeat market due to the fact that some sulfa residue is retained in themuscle. I stress this fact in my Quality Assurance and Ethics4-H youth presentation.

It is not considered ethical to simply leave an animal suffer anddie. If you are unable to afford proper treatment,and do not have the ability to dispatch of your own animals or have thevet do it, perhaps you should consider cutting back on the number ofanimals you have. These are issues that must be consideredbefore beginning a breeding program.

Breeding any type of animal should be done responsibly and the breedershould be well educated in proper herd management and animal welfarelaws.

A cocci fecal float isnot only inexpensive, but also animportant tool in determining the cause of illness. An overgrowth of coccidia cannot be determined without the fecal float.

Pam

Okay, I have to make myself a little clearer, AGAIN...

1. This Florida White is NOT a meat rabbit.

2. There is no vet that will take rabbits anywhere around us. Theamount of gas it would take to get to a vet that does take rabbitswould be more expensive that my rabbit is worth.

3. I didn't say I was just going to let him die. Quote from me: But I'mgoing to go ahead and treat him with the sulpha-treated water. Doesthat sound like I'm not trying to do something for him? I feel verysorry for him, he's an old guy that I've had for a couple of years.

Akkatia wrote:
2. There is no vet that will take rabbits anywhere aroundus. The amount of gas it would take to get to a vet that does takerabbits would be more expensive that my rabbit is worth.
You can take a fecal sample to ANY vet to get a fecal floatdone. They do not necessarily have to specialize in Rabbitsnor treat them. It's not the rabbit that's being looked at -its the feces - and ANY vet will do it... it'll get sent off to the labfor analysis with everything else. ;)

I believe Pam's response of

Due to issues with possible resistance to sulfa drugs, it is notadvisable to use the medication as a preventative. This isthe reason why such drugs are no longer mixed into rabbitfeeds.

Using any type of antibioticis especially a concern if youare having your animals processed becauseaccurate drugwithdrawal times are not well researched in rabbits. For thisreason, I advise against medicating rabbits destined for themeat market due to the fact that some sulfa residue is retained in themuscle. I stress this fact in my Quality Assurance and Ethics4-H youth presentation.
Was directed to these comments
the medicine I was talking about can be used to cure or can alsobe used on a regular basis as a preventative, so it can't hurt.
I sell them for meat and process and stuff like that.
The points of concern here are...

• Not whether or not THIS particular rabbit is a meat rabbit - it'smaking sure HE does not suffer and gets the proper attention he needs.(Proper Diagnosis, Treatment &/or Euthanasia)
  • To educate you on the proper treatments within a rabbitry that raises for the meat market.
  • To ensure you are aware the use of antibiotics &medications,especially on a regular basis,willtaint the meat rendering it unsafe / unfit forconsumption.
In addition to breeding my Mini Rex forshow, I also breed Rex for the meat market... so I'm speaking on firsthand knowledge and requirements for doing so. As a breeder& grower, I have an obligation to my rabbits to ensure theyreceive proper attention, care, nourishment, and treatment at alltimes. Yes, I have a bond with all my rabbits (show &meat alike) while they're here with me. All my rabbits getthe same amount of attention... they get to come out of their cages andrun around every now and then, they get occasional treats, and they gethandled daily. Just because they are destined for the meatmarket does not mean they cannot havea happy, full life whilethey are with me.

If one takes ill, it is removed from the herd, evaluated, anddepending on the seriousness - treated or euthanized. ANYrabbit that has been treated by medication will only be used asBrood. It is never processed for consumption.

Just my final 2 cents.

~Sunshine

Latest posts

Back