Does this look swollen? + Barely eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tofu

Reaction score
Diet: unlimited timothy hay, 1/8th cup pellets, fresh fruits/veggies

I took Tofu in for a neuter yesterday. We were given metacam to take home (1 times a day for 5 days). Since he got home I gave him his usual pellets and timothy hay and a piece of banana, carrot and broccoli. He ate the banana and barely touched the hay so I added alfalfa (his fav).

His pee/poops are normal, he is drinking is normal.

He has started eating pellets but he still doesn't have much appetite for hay. When he's using the litter box he will poke around his hay and eat maybe 1 or 2 strands.
If I hold individual hay strands under his mouth he will eat it, so that's what I've been doing all day.... should I be worried? :?

ALSO, I checked the neuter area and I'm not sure if this is swelling or not...
I touched the testes and they feel full, for lack of a better word, as if the neuter didn't happen. Is there any chance it is filled with blood or something?

Anyways, I'm unsure if this is swelling or not, I don't want to jump to conclusions!~ His testes are about the same size as it was before the neuter.. is this normal?

DSC01441.jpg
DSC01438.jpg

And close up it looks like he might've licked some of the glue off, there's a small area that isn't bleeding, but when I held a Q-Tip against it there was blood. Can I use polysporin to help the area heal faster? ... I also have the styptic powder that came with nail clippers, should I use that or is that only used when the blood is actually running?

Thank you everyone!

A little swelling is fine after a neuter, his look pretty good for one day after. A little bit of blood or bleeding is fine too, it will scab up and heal fine. If he is chewing or worrying on his testicles, then I would try to figure out a way to prevent him from doing it (make a soft e-collar or baby tshirt)

His appetite may be reduced for a little bit, but should pick up and be back to normal soon. As long as he is staying hydrated and eating something, he'll be fine. Some wetted down greens would be good for him if he can tolerate them.

-Dawn

I too would not worry about it--there will be some irritation, and it will be days before they get smaller than they were before the neuter--it can take several weeks for them to eventually go away totally. I have done icing on Ben when he was neutered. The vet (vet school hospital here, a place I trust implicitly) said to do 5 min x 3 or 4 a day with ice in a T-shirt or with a thin-ish towel.

Latest posts

Back