Does this hurt a bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaspberrySwirl

Reaction score
um, guys.....canyou pick up a bun by it's back skin? I don't mean it's scruff, like adog or a cat, but it's skin on it's back??? I've never doneit, but when Jack's family was here that's how they pick him up and heis perfectly fine with it. :shock:Jack's little boysaid his Daddy told him that is how he should pick Jack up...Jackdoesn't get angry or wiggley.....does it hurt them ornot?

The rabbit's full weight should never besupported by scruffing alone. I only use a modified scruffhold as last resort by grasping both the ears and scruff together whileat the same time supporting the weight of the rabbit with other handunder the rump.

Scruffing the rabbit damages and bruises the delicate shouldertissues. Processors are very familiar with tissue damage thiscauses as it bruises the muscle, rendering it useless for market.

When I'm judging youth shows, you'll often hear mechastisingyoung exhibitors"Don't scruff that rabbit!!!!" along with mylecture that follows :X

I think the wonderful judge, Al Butler, says it best "If a rabbit weremeant to be carried that way, the good Lord would have put a handlethere!"

Pam

Thanks Pam! Italmostdidn't matter to me whether I was told it hurt or notbecause NOBODY is going to pick up Sebastian that way! But at least nowif the opportunity arises I will feel educated enough to have anintelligent discussion about it.

When I clean the bunnies cages at the shelter, welet one bun out to run at a time. They're usually pretty goodabout getting back in their cages, even though they really, really wantto run around (and I'm a softy and try not to clean the cages toofast). One of the rabbits, Julip, was running around the education roomand havinga great time playing "catch me if you can". Theshelter educator's daughter kept trying to get me to grab Julip's ears.This was a little girl, maybe eight or so, and after I scooped Julip upby the butt and midsection, I let her know that it would really hurt abunny to pull on their ears. I can't believe anyone would think thatwas painless or ok.

You know there are just so many misconceptionsabout what hurts a rabbit. Just look at the magician pullingthe rabbit out of the hat, they always do it by the ears.It's just a good thing that we have this forum so as to find out theright way to do certain things.

When I got Bubba the breeder picked him up by the scruff. Hetold me this was the easiest way to get him not to struggle.NO WAY!!! He is just too big! I really didn't likethat.

Dawn

i heard on tv that a mother tiger picks her cubsup by the scruff to release a hormone that calms them down. i guesspeople figure its the same with rabbits. dogs dont get that hormone,but they have enough extra skin on the back of their neck that, untilthey get too big, you can pick 'em up by the scruff of the neck, or atleast drag 'em over to the scene of the crime with it. but ive beensearching Ivory, and have found no extra skin on the back of his neck.

The skin on some rabbits is very tight over the shoulders and back.

Many people have the misconception that mother rabbits pick up theiryoung by the scruff to move them. A doe will *never* pick upher offspring by any method.

Pam

Latest posts

Back