Does this bunny not like being held?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot

Reaction score
Today I have picked up my new bunny Hopper a few times and this afternoon when I tried she kicked and tried to get away.I know she is not injured because she is hopping around the cage a lot.Does anybody know why she did this?Thanks

Ty

I'm sure it's because she is just new to you and your household..maybe just give her a bit of time to adjust to her new surroundings.

Mostbunnies just don't like to be picked up at all either..they feel more secure when their feet are on the ground.

Just give her some time and just work with her :)

most bunnies do not like being picked up or held. We have two out of seventeen that like to be held and we consider them to way off the norm. When we had Serena neutered, we called the vet as it was getting late and we were worried. The vet tech told us she was still groggy and not moving. We asked her exactly what she meant, and she said "I'm holding her on my lap and petting her and she hasn't moved in more than hour". We told her to sit her down on the floor for a minute. She then told us to come and pick her up as she was moving around just fine. She's one that likes being picked up and held, which is no easy task as she's a Checkered Giant and weighs 17 pounds. We have gotten them all to where we can pick them up and handle them, but, most it has to be kept to a minimum.

Like others have said, rabbits generally don't like to be picked up. It's just their prey animal instinct to protect themselves from predators, so they run away. If you must pick him up, take care to support the rump and hold him close so he'll feel secure. He may need a little time to acclimate.

My 2 rabbits hate being pickes up. One is so bad the vets try to pick her up as little as possible. They usually do everything with her in her carrier. However, they love for me to play with their toys with them and lay on the floor and pet them, they just hate being picked up. I have figured out ways to do things so I don't have to pick them up. When I give meds or cut their nails, I let them sit on the floor between my legs so I don't have to pick them up. When I have to take them somewhere, I chase them into the carrier and transport them that way.

Your bunny may warm up to be held. She may just be trying to get use to her surroundings. I would try to lay on the floor and watch TV or read and let Hopper come up to you to get use to you. You can also hold treats or veggies in your hand to get her to come closer (depending on her diet and age). Good luck!

Rabbits will get used to being held. Work with your rabbit. Start small if you have to in sitting on the floor and lifting the rabbit into your lap. Then work up to bigger things. Sitting in a chair and lifting the rabbit. Standing and lifting the rabbit. Make sure that the rabbit is secure and even if she kicks and tries to get away just hug her to you and insist she stay with you. Otherwise she will learn the bad habit that if she struggles you let go. Then she will never let you pick her up.

It is for the best of the animal that she learns to be handled. Not only because of interaction with you but you want her to be able to be treated easily by a vet. The more experiences you give your rabbit the better off she will be in life when something new pops up. They are less prone to stress. Handling is just one more thing for a rabbit to deal with. Not only that but if there was ever a reason for you to give her up then later it would make it easier for her to find a home.

Since you just got her, I would let her settle in for a few days before trying to mess with her too much. She is probably nervous in her new surroundings, and she needs to have some time to get used to her new home, as well as you.

When you go to feed her, use that as a time to let her get used to her. Talk to her sweetly, and reach out your hand and let her sniff it, and pet her if she lets you, but don't force it.

You will be able to bond with her easier if you let her take the next step. ;)

Emily

Thanks everybody!She lets me pick her up in the mornings and she just lays there and acts very content but in the afternoon or evening she seems more active and doesn't like to be held.She doesn't struggle too much but when she does I hold her up close to me and she calms down.I hope I am doing the right thing.It weird though because when she has her harness on I can pick her up and she doesn't struggle very much.It's usually just to get comfortable but I would think that when a rabbit has a harness on,they would be trying to get away.She loves for me to pet her.She just sits there and about falls asleep:)

Good suggests lv.This may be helpful on how to pick up the rabbit.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1URtJbdoKrk&feature=PlayList&p=88E06D3262626CEA&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=4[/ame]

Heh... It tickles mewhen you guys say most rabbits don't like being picked up. I must have a herd of rejects, then. LOL

Then again, I handle mine from birth. I'm prepared for a scratch here and there and I'm ready to handle an unruly rabbit... You people should see my arms. You'd think some bad things about me if you didn't know I have rabbits!

Here the rabbits are handled daily and picked up daily and pulled out of the cage daily for check-ups that go as far as a check up can. They're usually posed daily and given attention daily, so sooner or later, they get used to it.

Like others have said, just give her some time to warm up to you. Handled her daily, and she WILL get used to it. I don't know her story, put chances are her previous owner didn't do much handling.

Erins Rabbits wrote:
Heh... It tickles mewhen you guys say most rabbits don't like being picked up. I must have a herd of rejects, then. LOL

Then again, I handle mine from birth. I'm prepared for a scratch here and there and I'm ready to handle an unruly rabbit... You people should see my arms. You'd think some bad things about me if you didn't know I have rabbits!

Here the rabbits are handled daily and picked up daily and pulled out of the cage daily for check-ups that go as far as a check up can. They're usually posed daily and given attention daily, so sooner or later, they get used to it.

Like others have said, just give her some time to warm up to you. Handled her daily, and she WILL get used to it. I don't know her story, put chances are her previous owner didn't do much handling.
I think your right about the previous owner and handling.She has very little grandkids and they are at her house most of the time and if she got them out the grandkids would probably want to hold them and it would be risky letting them.I think I've figured out the problem.I tried many different ways in picking her up(which way she's facing etc.)and it seems she likes it better when she is facing me and I pick her up with both hands.I pet her a lot before I pick her up because she gets excited when I walk up to the cage and she acts crazy!

Hope things are better with Hopper. Our Mini-Rex ,Piglet, likes to have your hand under her feet when held ; then she kind of nuzzles into your neck and stays there.

Funny, but Piglet is more interactive & nosy with us than the 2 Jersy Woolys- - -they are more timid and less curious about everything.

I was carrying Bella around today and thought about the distance from the ground that rabbits are while being carried in our arms ; as opposed to their usual lives at ground level. Kind of like a giant picking us up to the height of like 10--15 feet or so ? Poor bunnies ! Guess I'd struggle a little, too ; at least until I got used to it . Makes one think.

Kadish Tolesa wrote:
Hope things are better with Hopper. Our Mini-Rex ,Piglet, likes to have your hand under her feet when held ; then she kind of nuzzles into your neck and stays there.

Funny, but Piglet is more interactive & nosy with us than the 2 Jersy Woolys- - -they are more timid and less curious about everything.

I was carrying Bella around today and thought about the distance from the ground that rabbits are while being carried in our arms ; as opposed to their usual lives at ground level. Kind of like a giant picking us up to the height of like 10--15 feet or so ? Poor bunnies ! Guess I'd struggle a little, too ; at least until I got used to it . Makes one think.

Do you play the Sims? I noticed your bunny names - cute!

My bunny doesn't mind being picked up, petted, snuggled, manhandled sometimes or brushed - I must have one of those rejects too. As long as you support him properly he seems okay - he'll sit in my lap and be petted & brushed at night while I watch TV and when I stop petting him, he'll lick me to tell me to keep petting and when he's had enough, he'll start digging on my shirt - then I put him in his cage and he's happy.

When I brought him home he was picked up and fondled right away

Hi Tweetiepy...yes , I Love the Sims 2... I named my white JW Bella because in the game ( although she's deceased ) ; her reputation seems that she was not to be trifled with ! My Bella will tolerate some snuggling, but doesn't really respond to it.

In the game (S2) Goopy is a bit dumb and fun-loving, and that describes my Goopy !

LV426 wrote:
Rabbits will get used to being held. Work with your rabbit. Start small if you have to in sitting on the floor and lifting the rabbit into your lap. Then work up to bigger things. Sitting in a chair and lifting the rabbit. Standing and lifting the rabbit. Make sure that the rabbit is secure and even if she kicks and tries to get away just hug her to you and insist she stay with you. Otherwise she will learn the bad habit that if she struggles you let go. Then she will never let you pick her up.

It is for the best of the animal that she learns to be handled. Not only because of interaction with you but you want her to be able to be treated easily by a vet. The more experiences you give your rabbit the better off she will be in life when something new pops up. They are less prone to stress. Handling is just one more thing for a rabbit to deal with. Not only that but if there was ever a reason for you to give her up then later it would make it easier for her to find a home.

Best advice. I have a firm policy before a foster leaves me for adoption they have to tolerate being held. They have to be able to sit through grooming and nail clipping.Every rabbit can come to tolerate being held and that they like it... That is another story. I have some that hate it but know that when I hold them it is needed.

My advice to people is always think of the time when you have no choice but tohandle them. Be it grooming, giving meds or whatever. I also advice for pet owners to do a monthly check up of their pets so you don't miss anything or notice any changes.

Back