Does my bunny have a neurological issue?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrynxRalph

Reaction score
my rabbit Brynx has a constant head shake whenever he is relaxed laying down. It isn’t an ear infection or mites. It’s not a side to side shake. It’s just a back and forth head shake. He is eating normally, pooping and peeing normally, he will do it while flopped and while he is laid out with his back feet straight out. He moves his nose fast at the same time and his stomach moves quite fast as well. He was an outdoor rabbit and is now an indoor. He binky’s during playtime and flops often so he is not scared. I’ve had him for a week and a day. He is A month and a half. Any advice? Not sure if I should make a very visit since nothing else seems to be going on. The breeder said she never noticed it but he’s been that way since the day I brought him home. Any insight?

It says it’s too large, I’m trying to upload it from my iPhone. Is there another way to upload it on here?

I'm not seeing anything abnormal, at least in the video. If he seems to be breathing too fast, it sounds like he could be hot and is trying to cool down. Try offering some cool ceramic tiles for him to lay on. You can also freeze water in a used soda bottle and lay that down in the cage to see if he'll lay down next to it to cool down.

I'm not seeing anything abnormal, at least in the video. If he seems to be breathing too fast, it sounds like he could be hot and is trying to cool down. Try offering some cool ceramic tiles for him to lay on. You can also freeze water in a used soda bottle and lay that down in the cage to see if he'll lay down next to it to cool down.
I’ve tried the water bottle but he doesn’t lay next to it or anything he just ignores it or has licked it a bit then left it there. I will try the ceramic tiles. I dipped my hands in cold water and massages his ears to also. He still does it though. Nothing else is out of the ordinary though. He still eats and poops normally as well as pee. Im not sure if he is just super scared still? I’ve only had him 2 weeks. But he lets me pet him, sniffs me, also will put his paws on me and hop over to me

A bun won't flop down like that if they are scared. It's a sign of relaxing, or when they are hot they will do it, but not if they are also scared. So I would say he is hot and is trying to cool down. If he was an outdoor rabbit previous to you getting him, that would also explain it. He would have a thicker winter coat from being in the cold, so this will cause him to have a harder time cooling down. This should improve once he starts to shed his winter coat.

So give him plenty of ways to help cool down like the ceramic tiles, refresh his dish with cool water several times a day, and try covering the frozen water bottle with a light towel to see if he likes that better. Some rabbits don't like laying by the bottles because they get wet from the condensation on it. A fan blowing in the area can also help, you just don't want to blow it directly at him with no way for him to get out of it's path.

If you aren't sure or have any concerns that this could be a health problem, always best to consult your vet.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

A bun won't flop down like that if they are scared. It's a sign of relaxing, or when they are hot they will do it, but not if they are also scared. So I would say he is hot and is trying to cool down. If he was an outdoor rabbit previous to you getting him, that would also explain it. He would have a thicker winter coat from being in the cold, so this will cause him to have a harder time cooling down. This should improve once he starts to shed his winter coat.

So give him plenty of ways to help cool down like the ceramic tiles, refresh his dish with cool water several times a day, and try covering the frozen water bottle with a light towel to see if he likes that better. Some rabbits don't like laying by the bottles because they get wet from the condensation on it. A fan blowing in the area can also help, you just don't want to blow it directly at him with no way for him to get out of it's path.

If you aren't sure or have any concerns that this could be a health problem, always best to consult your vet.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Thank you so much for the insight! I’m hoping it’s just the fact that he has to shed his winter coat and he just isn’t use to regular temperatures because he was outside so much he is used to the cold. But I tried a hand towel over the bottle and still nothing so I’m guessing it’s just not going to work for him. If I don’t see a change after the tiles I’ll contact my vet!

Pet your rabbits ears with cold water, my outdoor rabbits do the same if I take them in. You can only help him cold down or make him slowly get used with indoor temperature. But it depends on how cold it’s outside.

Pet your rabbits ears with cold water, my outdoor rabbits do the same if I take them in. You can only help him cold down or make him slowly get used with indoor temperature. But it depends on how cold it’s outside.
I tried that and it didn’t seem to do too much. I just brought some ceramic tiles so hopefully he lays on them to cool down

What temperature is it in your home? Rabbits become susceptible to heat stroke at temperatures of 80F+ even without a heavy winter coat, so I recommend keeping it around 70F if you can while he's still got his winter coat - that way, it's still reasonably warm for humans but hopefully cool enough to help him out a bit (the difference between 70 and 75 can be a big one when you're bundled up in all that fur!). If there are any areas of your home that are a bit draftier/cooler than others, try keeping him in that area.

Also, I swear by the furminator (cat or small dog versions) for helping bunnies get through their molts (happens about 4 times a year, heh). If he needs to shed a heavy winter coat from being outside, regular grooming with a furminator can help remove some of the excess hair (including the undercoat). An added perk is that regular brushing or furminating during a molt helps to prevent hairballs (which can become fatal in rabbits). It's ridiculous how much hair a furminator can painlessly groom from your bunn!

What temperature is it in your home? Rabbits become susceptible to heat stroke at temperatures of 80F+ even without a heavy winter coat, so I recommend keeping it around 70F if you can while he's still got his winter coat - that way, it's still reasonably warm for humans but hopefully cool enough to help him out a bit (the difference between 70 and 75 can be a big one when you're bundled up in all that fur!). If there are any areas of your home that are a bit draftier/cooler than others, try keeping him in that area.

Also, I swear by the furminator (cat or small dog versions) for helping bunnies get through their molts (happens about 4 times a year, heh). If he needs to shed a heavy winter coat from being outside, regular grooming with a furminator can help remove some of the excess hair (including the undercoat). An added perk is that regular brushing or furminating during a molt helps to prevent hairballs (which can become fatal in rabbits). It's ridiculous how much hair a furminator can painlessly groom from your bunn!

It’s usually anywhere from 68-75 degrees in my home. We don’t often turn the heat on. I will try brushing, he is a Rex Rabbit I believe? So I’m not sure how often I should brush his coat.

Latest posts

Back