Does having two bunnies make them bond with you less?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah&lions

Reaction score
Hey everyone :)

So I recently just got two baby lionheads. One doe and one buck.
They're about eight weeks old. They're in the same cage for now, I will seperate them when the buck is about four months old.
I do plan on breeding them later. I love baby bunnies and want to give people nice, healthy, friendly beautiful bunnies in the future. I hope to get another doe here soon once I find the right one :).

Anyways, does having more than one make them bond with you less?
I know that them having a friend their same species can make them not need your attention or want it. Cause they already have a buddy.
I know this is the case with birds, I made the mistake of getting two parrotlets...and now they want nothing to do with me cause they have each other :p.
Is it similar to rabbits? I mean my bunnies dont hate me. But I know you can get a strong bond with your bunny eventually, is this not the same if you have more than one? I know their social animals that live in groups...so its good to have more than one. But not sure if it effects them eventually bonding to me?

Let me know what you think :)

Sarah

Since your bunnies will be for breeding and will not be a bonded pair, you shouldn't have any issues with them bonding with each other more than you. They'll be living as separate bunnies and will act just like any other single bun. They will only be with each other during the mating process, which will only be for a few minutes every year.

However, not having them spayed and neutered may affect your ability to bond with them. Many unspayed females get territorial and some unneutered males spray and hump.

Yeah, well alrighty.
Will they be lonely if they're not a bonded pair?
lol
Like since they're not neutered and spayed.
I know bunnies like to be together..
think they'll miss each other after I separate them?
I'm trying to talk my parents (I'm seventeen) into just letting them be in doors.
Cause we have this great 36"24" indoor pen that they're in right now.
And I would like to get two more (planning on getting another doe) and just keep them inside.
Then I want to try doing the bunny harness and leash thing...
just so they get exercise and get to run around in the grass and eat it and stuff but I'll always be with them.
And with the indoor pen then I dont have to worry about them getting to hot in the summer, to cold in the winter.
Worrying about frozen water or water thats super warm.
Worry about something eating them, especially something eating the baby bunnies when I do breed...anyways, I'm sure you see my point ;)
lol

And really?
=/
Yeah, I'll have to get it all taken care of within a month, lol

Personally, I think bunnies are much happier once spayed and neutered and living together as a bonded pair. Breeding is very risky and you risk losing your pet when you do it. I would not recommend breeding pets ever.

you need to have them seperated now...hormones start kicking in at 3 months. theres no reason to keep a male and female unbonded rabbits together at that age.

and it really depends how much time you spend with them and their personalities. your female may get cage territorial when she matures and may not enjoy your affection at all, or very well the male will turn like that.

Latest posts

Back