Does anyone use wood shavings/bedding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexLovables

Reaction score
i switched over to wood shavings(aspen bedding) but still let Butterscotch's litter box of hay in the cage, he just wasnt doing good with the potty training and peed everywhere and layed in it and i had to bath him a lot.

He did good for ONE day!

i gave my hopes up.

Soooo, i just put bedding in the cage along with his regular and his litter box, he goes in the bedding but STILL goes a lot in his litter box.
im just curious if anyone uses bedding???

Try putting a hay rack on the outside of the cage for him to drag hay out of.

As for litterbox training, go with a bare floor for now (a few towels to snuggle in), and put bedding only in his litterbox. If he has an accident outside of the box, scoop up the poo/piddle and put it into the box.

I don't personally use bedding, as my guys now know exactly where the litter box is. I think they found it confusing, having aspen bedding, and aspen litter. So now, it is wood pellet litter in the litter box only.

I use wood pellets as I fine it easier and less messy than shavings. A very little goes a long way too. I use shavings only for my rat cages.

I honestly wouldn't use bedding if you want your bun to get the hang of litter training. Also, aspen shavings are very non-absobant and don't make good litter in general. I would try to get a wood pellet litter like Feline Pine or wood stove pellets. Much better at odor control.

Also, is he neutered? That would significantly help his litter habits.

For the bottom of my bun's cage I just use a piece of fleece. It provides traction and is easy to clean. If you filled up the whole cage with bedding, I think it would get very expensive very fast, in addition to confusing your bun about whether he should use the litter box or not.

Back