does anyone on this forum home school their children

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bat42072

Reaction score
How do you go about finding a curriculum(spelling?)? My daughter is having major problems in junior high(she is 15 inb the &th grade... she is in the 504 program in texas due to her having adhd and the school is not following their guide lines and she is failing because of it. and she was placed in a second math class so she can get her homework done in there but the teacher(same as her regular math) is not letting her do it and making her participate in math games instead... my husband who is usually layed back got in a fight with the teacher and councilor over it... we are seriously thinking about home schooling since she is not getting the help she needs art school. I don't want to home school thru a school(example christian schools because they make you take religous studies) and school work is hard enough for her as with out adding more stuff to learn

I use Abeka, although I don't really care for their Algebra books. When Matthew (9) is older, I'll probably switch to Saxon math. Most of the curriculums are Christian based, but you only need to teach what you want to. You can also use the curriculum from your public school. I've been homeschooling for a while from elementary through high school (my daughter is in college now).

Here's a list of popular curriculum:

http://www.homeschool.com/resources01/curriculum.asp

You can also choose on-line schooling (I don't care for that though).

Pam

I was homeschooled from grade 9 to 12.

I did a combination of correspondance(filling out the workbooks and mailing them in) and Cyber school(an actual school that was over the internet, but also had teachers in town if i needed to go in and get help).

I prefered the Cyber school. They provided me with a computer and it was much easier since there was teacher support if I needed it. It was also much more structured then correspondance as it was like regular school, where the teachers sent the work/lessons and you had to have it done at the end of the week. It was just like regular school but better :)

With correspondance, there was no structure or time limits. I had as much time as I wanted(within the 1-2 years they give you for each course) to complete the booklets. It was hard to keep motivated as there was no one to make me to my school work(besides my mom). It was also much harder as there wasn't much in the way of teacher support. I could call the call center if I had a question and talk to a "teacher" but that wasn't much help. Learning highschool math/science without a teacher explaining everything was very hard. Thankfully I was lucky as my mom is a teacher(grade 2, but atleast she helped a bit,lol) and she had friends that were high school teachers that helped me out a lot.

So i'd recommend looking into a cyber school. They are definitely the best kind of homeschooling. When I attended(8 years ago) they were only just starting out.They one I attended was the first in our province. I would assume now cyber schools are much more common. I also took a college course to become a vet assitant through cyber school. Its definitely the easier way to go if you need to homeschool as the structure is already there.

The name of my highschool was St. Gabriel's cyber school http://stgabe.gsacrd.ab.ca/

Pet_Bunny wrote:
degrassi wrote:
I was homeschooled from grade 9 to 12.
I didn't know that Degrassi. With the amount of schools we have here (Public and Catholic), it is rare to hear abouthomeschooling.
Yeah, I know. Not many people in the city usually homeschool, its more common in the rural areas. I had to start homeschooling in grade 9 as I wasn't able to attend regular school anymore due to illness and the regular school system wasn't able to accommodate me.

Thanks everyone... the principle told us if she stayed in public school she will never graduate do to her age... as soon as she turns 21 they will kick her out because she is too old....

I homeschooled through High School - I lived in the country and was also taking care of my mother who was very sick. I'm taking some College courses nowthrough correspondence since I still live out in the bush and can't drive to the nearest School, and they have an online option although I prefer to use the books. It's easier for me to focus.

I think it's a good option if you are willing to work at it, and you have to be able to focus if you are doing it on your own. With you helping your daughter it sounds like it might be very useful to her and she might be able to do better at it?

bat42072 wrote:
Thanks everyone... the principle told us if she stayed in public school she will never graduate do to her age... as soon as she turns 21 they will kick her out because she is too old....

I wasn't attending regular school so they couldn't kick me out but I also had that problem. I had to rush to finish the last of my highschool courses before I turned 21. After 21, you can still finish your courses/get your diploma, it just costs a LOT more. After 21 you are considered an adult student and the government doens't help cover the cost anymore(at least here in canada its like that). I know I was looking at having to pay 500$+ per course! after I turned 21.

Latest posts

Back