Does anyone know?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuttBunny

Reaction score
I want to start using wood stove pellets for my animals but I have no idea where to get them. I bought some Yesterday's News the other day and it's gone up $3 a bag in the last few weeks! Yikes! I use WAY too much to be paying that amount. Any help finding pellets is greatly appreciated.

I recently went to the Tractor Supply Company in Leesburg, VA (it's about 2 mins away from the Leesburg Outlet Mall) and asked them for wood stove pellets. It's something that you'll have to go in and ask them for because they have it in a separate loading area. You drive over to the gates and they bring out what you purchased and load it into your trunk.

They kept repeating "You wanted wood fuel pellets right?" And I was like "What's a wood fuel pellet? I wanted wood stove pellets!" "Ma'am, they're the same thing." Sigh...I always feel so out of place there :p

Oh, but call them first to make sure they have them because when I went there they just got a shipment in of 70 bags, and it sounds like its a seasonal item because they said I got lucky and that they don't always have them in stock.

Oh cool, Thanks so much! That's not far from me. I live in Herndon. :D

So do you think it would be easier to use carefresh in the litter boxes instead? I don't want them to get used to one thing and then get confused if I'm not able to get it when it's out of stock...

For the litter box I use Carefresh. Carefresh is a lot more expensive than wood stove pellets, but the litter boxes are small and the bag of Carefresh lasts a long time. My problem with cost of bedding was due to the large drop pans below the cages. Those took up a half a bag of Carefresh, and that bag costs $15 - $20!

I have cages with wire floors, so I use the wood stove pellets in the drop pan below. When I opened the bag of pellets, a lot of the wood was broken down into little dusty particles so I didn't want the bunnies to come into direct contact with it. I'm not sure if it would cause any problems, but I didn't want to chance them snorting up wood dust.

There are other members on here who use wood stove pellets, but I never gathered if their rabbits were sitting directly on the pellets or if they were separated by a litter box screen / wire floor. If nobody pops in to answer that question, and you are concerned with your rabbits having allergic reactions to wood dust, you could make a new topic asking that specific question.

It seems like the cost of everything has gone up lately. Jebus.

We don't have wire floors so carefresh would probably last a decent amount of time. Or even aspen bedding in the litter boxes...Now my brain is working in overdrive over bunny bathroom issues.

Latest posts

Back