Does anyone have

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are prone to sore hocks and their ears maybe easily torn. They are however, rather docile and it's funto play with those ears!

Pam

Quite true. They may also suffer frostbite to the ears if kept outdoors in frigid weather.

Pam

I had english lops. They were acly pritty docile.As metiond they are big so they need a lot of space. If you dont keepup on the nail trimmig they can do seros damge with their nails. Andyes their ears can get frostbitten.

My lop ears froze we had such a nasty cold winter. it was nota happy thing. I kept him inside and tyed to thaw them outbut i think they might have started to rot or somting becuse they smmedrelly bad and were all nasty pealyand then when it was rltivly warm iwent to bring him back outside and he just stated frekking out thenfloped over and died it was verry sad but he was old and i had kindaexpecded him not to make it through the winter.

I would recomend them though! I rely enjoyed the ones i had

Hello,

I have english lops. Alot of them. Yes their ears can freeze if theyget cold in the winter. My first english lop got her ear frozen in herwater bowl the first cold night that we got. They can also chew ontheir ears if they get cold because the cold stings them so you shouldkeep some money on hand during the winter just in case one gets frostbit. We keep ours in our barn and here in Iowa it gets cold althoughnext saturday or sunday (who can keep them straight lol) it is sopposeto be sixty degrees! Any way in the winter we just give everybody waterbottles and hang them high so that way their ears wont get wet. Then wejust hang up some plastic and when it gets cold we let the plastic downso that way it encloses the rabbits and then we turn on a space heaterfor them. It works well.

Their ears are soppose to be at least twenty one inches long to beshown, and their ears are alot of fun. They like to play with them andthey are funny to watch them lay with them draped over their heads orsleeping with their eyes covered with them. They also like to havetheir ears petted, pulled and played with when you are petting them.You can actualy tie them in a knot too! lol.

They are friendly although not as friendly as the flemish I mustadmite. There is a few things that I do not like about them but thegood things out wiegh the bad! One thing that i dont like about them isthat when the does get to the age where they want to be breed like forexample eight months old they tend to be realy moody. I have even beenlatched onto by two of my does when I went to pet them. This is usualywhen they are realy wanting to be breed though. I mean both times thedoes where grunting, spinning around, and arching their backs to bebreed so I had my warnings and should of took them. The other thingsthat I dont like is that they are long legged, and baggy. Lol. When youtry to grip their scruff it just keeps coming lol. They have alot ofskin and it is lose. This combined with their long strong legs makesthem kind of tricky to handle if they dont want to be handled.

The other thing that you will need to watch out for is bucks tend to besprayers. So if you want one as a pet you will want to be sure to fixit as soon as it is old enough to. To help prevent this.

They also have long tails, and long toes so injuries can be comen ifyou are not carefull. Hint if they are droped they can easily brakethese and of course they can be hurt in many other ways if they aredroped just like any rabbit. Just saying that if they are droped fromeven a knee high hight they can injure a toe or two.

Hate to say it since there are a few judges on here (lol close youreyes guys lol) but if you check most elops toes you will see that thereare alot of them that are bent because of incidents where the rabbithas decided that they want to go where they want to go from your arms.Just today I had one decide to jump onto my counter as I was walking byit. No stoping these guys if they want to jump since their legs arepretty much longer and stronger than my arms. They are kind of likebull frogs as I had a youth in my four h club describe them when hefirst saw them. LOL. With all of their skin though they just tuck themin and their blanket of skin just fills in the rest like a skirt.

But on the good side, they are beatiful, and always fun to watch. Theyare also exstremely outgoing and playful, and loves to sit and have youpet them for hours!

As long as you know how to handle rabbits (likethis wasnt your first rabbit) you should be absolutly fine.:DAlso as long as you keep the toenails trimmed, and you usesafe practes like making sure you had a good hold on the rabbit beforeyou stand up with the rabbit ect you should be fine. That is what youshould do with any rabbit any way. When you carry one use the showmethod of keeping the rabbit tucked in and eyes and head under yourarm. If the breeder shows they should be able to show you. I guess thebiggest thing is you dont want to hold them the wrong way, you want tomake sure to give them the right support.

Back