Does anyone have any experience with dogs? Please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexah

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying that I've already called the emergency vet in my area and they're going into a surgical procedure and can't do anything to help us. The other vet clinic is not recommended as they tend to make animals sicker rather than better. And right now I'm absolutely freaking out because my precious little girl is sick and I don't know what to do.

Madeline's been vomiting for probably the last two hours or so. Not continuously, but ecery half hour or so she'll get up and vomit one to three more times. The first time was outside and when I went to hose down the cement I noticed that there was a slug right where the vomit was. I'm not sure whether she ate the slug or if it just happened to be there. I can't find information about it online, but it seems like slugs shouldn't cause poisoning or extreme reactions in dogs. The slug looked whole and may have even moved, but with my poor eyesight, I can't be sure.

At first she was vomiting what looked to be her dinner - wet food mixed with dry - and some bile. For the last while she's been vomiting a lot less volume wise and it looks to be just phlegm and bile. She is responsive, but her eyes are definitely glassy and she's shaky. I know from past experiences that smaller dogs tend to shake when they're not feeling well so I don't think that is an actual symptom. Her gums are pink and she's laying here next to me and my mom, but she's not herself, you know?

Maddie has never been one to vomit often and that's why I'm so concerned. All the vet said was to withold food and fluids for 6-8 hours and then reintroduce as tolerated. We'll definitely do that, but I'm scared that there's something wrong with her. But where she's concerned I'm always afraid - she's my baby and I can't think rationally when it comes to her health in the midst of an emergency.

I can say with almost certainty that it's not a case of poisoning since our other three dogs are showing no signs and are okay. I also checked outside and saw nothing out of the ordinary. The only other thing I can think of is that she is having a delayed reaction to the vaccinations she got on Tuesday. I had taken her in to the vet for her rabies and distemper vaccines. She had never been vaccinated for rabies before so that's a new one, but as a puppy she got the complete puppy series and did wind up lethargic and sick though I can't remember now if there was vomiting. I had told the vet this and they gave her some kind of glucose antidote to help with any reactions (lethargy) that she might have had. She's been fine up until tonight so I really don't know if this is related or not.

I'm just a mess and am trying to remain calm for her, but I'm scared. Please pray for my baby and help me get through this. She'll be okay, right? What could this be? My poor girl...I just love her so, so, so much.

Oh, one more thing, I just want to say that she's almost three years old and hasn't had any other health problems aside from a slight cold here and there. She's healthy and was pronounced as such at the vet's office on Tuesday afternoon. She was acting normally all day today.

Aaahhh! I hate it when our babies are sick because they can't tell us what's wrong.

Maddie needs to be okay - she just needs to.

I wish I could help you more, but afraid I could only guess. And my first reaction upon reading your post was poisoning. Are you absolutely positive there's nothing your dog could have touched? Has anyone put out slug bait anywhere? I do know that domestic pets are attracted to slug bait, and it's highly toxic.

Beyond that I don't know. Not sure how long after vaccines an animal can had adverse reactions...I know with my dog she would have very very mild reactions sometimes, but usually a few hours after vaccines were administered.

Is there another vet somewhere you could call just to get a phone consult?

Crossing my fingers for you that Madeleine is okay, and it will be just a case of stomach upset or something mild...

:hug:

Thanks for your help and support...

We live in the heart of the city and if you live in Cleveland or nearby you know that no one around here is going to use slug bait. I'm sure they could, but our yard is enclosed and there's absolutely no way she could've gotten out of our yard. And I've double and triple checked that we don't use any kind of poisonous substance in our yard.

I've looked as well as I can being that it's dark and even with a flashlight I have poor eyesight. Our other dogs were all outside with Maddie and they're not showing signs of anything. Poisoning was my first thought as well, but I honestly haven't seen anything and with the other dogs being alright I'm suspecting that it's not that.

Maddie is laying down on the couch in between me and my mom. She's not thrown up (knock on wood!) in about a half an hour and she's resting comfortably. She doesn't appear to be shaking anymore either and she's definitely not showing signs of worsening.

Do you think we should try giving her some Pepto Bismol? I remember once that our vet okayed it for one of our other dogs when she had a bout of a stomach bug, but Madeline is much smaller and I don't think I'd like to give her something without knowing for sure.

I'm just a nervous wreck. Please continue to pray for me and my baby girl...

Can't help on dog issues but if you can't get to the Brookpark ER or Bedford, then I would suggest Metropolitan in Akron. It's easy access from I-77 and about 20-30 minutes from Cleveland, depending on east side or west side location.

http://www.metropolitanvet.com/

Forgot to add that I've heard good things about Avon Lake Clinic and they have 24 hour service. 440-892-3708, they are on Miller Rd which is easy to get to from Detroit Ave or I-90.

I'd be wary of treating without a vet consult, even with Pepto Bismol, unless the cause is known. If she's no longer shaking and vomiting and has calmed down, I'd probably keep an eye on her and see how she does. If she has anything to eat (or drink too, probably) and she begins vomiting or reacting badly, then I think that might be a sign of some sort of obstruction. Any signs of her getting worse again would definitely warrant trying to get her to a vet.

However, I'm just guessing here...the best would probably be to give the vet a quick ring and describe how she's doing now, and ask whether giving her something like Pepto Bismol might help, or whether it's necessary at this point.

(((Hugs to you)))...it's so stressful when our pets get sick. :(

I hope she's back to her old self very soon!

Our vet recommended Metropolitan to us as well, but we're holding off at the moment because we don't want to stress her unnecessarily. She absolutely hates going to the vet and is typically terrified. As long as she continues to improve I think we're okay waiting until morning, but if the vomiting continues or gets worse we'll pack her up and take her right down provided that the other vet isn't available.

She is still laying on the couch with us. She keeps sitting up and I'm guessing that she's trying to find a comfortable position. I did think to press down (lightly) on her lower abdomen to ensure it wasn't something like a blockage and shedidn't seem like that caused her pain. At this point I'm just thinking that it's some kind of stomach upset, but we'll definitely continue to keep a very closeeye on her.She's laying down right now and seems okay, but I know she's not feeling well - it's just obvious. At least she's still responsive and seems to want to be pet and comforted.

My poor girl. I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm sitting here fawning over her. I need to keep myself together so it doesn't affect her. I just love her so much.

Well, it's now about one and I'm thinking about getting ready to head to bed. I was originally going to stay up throughout the night to make sure Maddie was okay, but I really think she's moving past whatever was going on and that it'll be okay to get some sleep.

My mom just let the dogs out and Maddie got right up off the couch to go. And it's been about 1.5 hours since she last vomited (knock on wood). She's been laying on the couch with us the entire time as we watched the Olympics (yay USA - they just went gold-silver in the gymnastics all-around!) and while she's been looking occasionally uncomfortable, she slept and seemed okay.

We're going with the vet's advice and witholding food and fluids until morning. We'll then reintroduce both as tolerated. I'm thinking she's past the worst of whatever's been going on - thank goodness.

(Actually she just came trotting back in and started poking Noell with her nose - that's the Maddie I know and love!)

So...bed it is. And that's good considering I'm half asleep here. Thank y'all for your prayers and please keep 'em comin'.

If she hasn't vomited in the last 12 hours....I would try making her some bland food. BOILED Hamburger and rice is a great food for dogs after they vomit. It will not upset their stomach. i would do this for a couple of days.

If she has thrown up, I would get her to the vet because she could have a twisted stomach or a different health issue.

Hope she is feeling better soon.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to offer support and suggestions. Thankfully, Madeline is back to herself today and has not vomited since late last night (approximately 11:30pm).

We wound up allowing her a dog biscuit last night as she was begging for it something terrible. And my mom fed her this morning her usual food and Madeline tolerated it well. She's been playful throughout the day and has not been acting off in any manner. And I've spoken with our usual vet and she thinks that it was probably just an upset stomach possibly triggered by her eating the slug (we still aren't positive if she ate the slug or not). But she is not concerned at this point and thankfully neither am I.

And, Pam, thank you for the vet recommendation. Unfortunately I have used Dr. Pappas in the past and have had an extremely poor experience with her and her clinic. My parents' siberian husky was born with some auto-immune issues. He also developed demodectic (spelling? (demodex?)) mange at 6 weeks old. We suspect his mother had it as well since the entire litter but one has the same condition. His paws are typically very sore and have a tendency to become infected when he's not on a regimen. In New Jersey we had a wonderful vet who used a combination of dips, Ivermectin, and an antibiotic, but when he relapsed a couple of years ago and we took him to Dr. Pappas, she changed his diagnosis and treatment. She gave him a steroid that made his mange so terrible that he almost lost two of his paws. We took him to a couple of other vets who rediagnosed him with the mange and then treated him properly. In fact, my parents filed a suit with Dr. Pappas, but I don't know the details. Even though I have heard good things about her practice and believe she is most likely a wonderful vet, I cannot bring myself to use her again. I know it was probably an isolated mistake, but I wouldn't feel comfortable going to her again after what happened to Nanook.

But I digress...

Maddie is back to her usual self and is obviously feeling so much better. I just so appreciate the prayers and support - it really means (meant) a lot. Thank you. And thank God my puppy is okay.

I'm so glad to hear your pup is doing better! Being owned by a dog myself, I'd be beside myself with worry if my goofball got sick. And he most frustrating thing about being responsible for a pet is that they can't tell you where it hurts, or (in some cases) what they might have done to cause it.

((((BIG HUGS)))) to Madeline for feeling better! :hug:

Latest posts

Back